Tactical Unload Question

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by NewGunz, Dec 14, 2010.

1. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Does anyone have Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford? If so, please turn to the bottom of pages 99 and 100. In this section, Stanford says this:

I just don't understand why they are recommending locking the slide back manually first versus just simply hitting the magazine release. This just seems like an extra step to me that one may not want to do in a dangerous situation. Can any expert chime in? Thanks.

2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Hey there, it just so happens that I have this book right here in my office. The way I'm reading this is that he is just simply talking about unloading a firearm and making sure the chamber is clear. If a person were to simply just eject the mag, there is a good chance that a round is still chambered and the gun.

By no means am I an expert, just thought I'd chime in since I had the book right here.

3. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Hmmm. It appears as though you're right. It was just odd placement in the book for a simple task like that... It's gotta be linked to something else he's trying to teach. Thanks for replying! Happy to see someone else actually have that book, haha! It has great reviews. I just bought it recently.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I was wondering what a tactical unload was...to me that would be a full mag into the bad guy...:D

5. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I like your thinking Pyle.

6. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Well that's the thing... But there must be some reason he's telling people to put the mag in their pinky finger... It has to do with prepping for a reload I think.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Quite possibly...in a true SD situation you would just drop the mag to the ground but in IDPA or other competitive shooting I do not believe that you can drop a mag with any rounds left in it. So if you need to do a tactical reload you will have to learn to have both mags in your hand while reloading. The pinky grab allows you to retrieve the fresh mag with thumb and forefinger...then drop the slide using the slide release.