Tactical shotguns, good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by JPenn856, May 19, 2012.

1. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

Keep hearing good things about tactical shotguns with pistol grips.

My question is how people feel about these?

It feels "funny" to me because I'm used to the regular way. Having my hand under my gun rather then along my gun makes me feel like I'm not one with the gun. I also can not stand the pistol grip without a stock. I understand the gun is shorter so it's better for home defense but I would rather look down the barrel at what I'm about to shoot. Not hold on and hope I hit him with my one foot pattern.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

IMHO, a pistol-grip shotgun is is only useful for movie props and attention whores. I've seen way too many YouTube face plants to even consider it useful.

If close quarters require something other than a fixed stock, I would consider a folder.

There's nothing wrong with short-barreled, hi-cap full-stocked shotties or a coach gun SxS.

3. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

I like the pistol grip with the stock took me a few to get a grasp on the shooting style but now I got pistol grips on most my guns I think it allowed me to have a steady hold on my aiming for a longer time

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I was also raised up with double barrels and wingmasters, but the pistol grip shotguns have never bothered me. I just adapt to whatever gun im shooting without any complaints. It doesnt hinder my skills one way or the other. My new shotty has a pistol grip stock and i like it just fine. Just my 2¢

5. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

By no means am I putting them down. Can't fault it until you try it. I'm just not used to that type of feel. I didn't like the feel of a revolver until I shot one a few time. Now I love them just as much as my autos.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Pistol-grips, as on an AR, took me a few minutes to get used to. In a shotgun (H&K Benelli) it felt odder, until I started shooting...

It was a stupendously natural actual fit and the results were positively surprising. Now I'm not boasting, but I don't care what shotgun you put in my hands, unless there is something significantly wrong with the arm on a Trap field I am probably going to hit the target. The pistol grip? I broke almost every bird the first time out, gun fresh out of the box, clearly supported by its outline.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  7. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I like pistol grip with the stock, I've shot just shotguns just with a pistol grip and there more fun then useful. I guess if you put a laser on it it might be useful for something. But the way I have my HD shotgun set up with the 10 yards (longest shot in my house) I have a 1/2 foot pattern with just regular buck, I have to aim with it other wise I would probably miss the target.

8. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

I have a shotgun with a pistol grip and an adjustable stock and like it so far I don't think I'd ever take the stock off it jus doesn't feel right not having it on my shoulder

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am no fan of pistol gripped only shotguns and prefer a full stock and would go with a pistol gripped full stock possibly. pistol gripped shotguns put a lot of stress on the wrist from the recoil. sure manueverability is enhanced but at the price of poor follow-up shots if needed. i have shot them, but personally would never own one.

10. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

i have the knoxx stock. to me, the pistol grip is a lot more comfortable, and i can support my gun better.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I once owned a Remington 870 Supermag with Knoxx adjustable stock, I traded it on Glock 17.

I would rather stand behind mule and poke it with a cattle prod than shoot a 3.5 turkey load in that 870.

I'll use my 870 Wingmaster with traditional wood stock for HD.

That Supermag was 2 "tactical" shotguns in one, my first and my last.

12. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

You can keep your fancy pistol grip crap. I'll take my 12 gauge SxS coach gun any time for HD.

13. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

I got a pistol gripped shotgun that is fairly short...it has an 11.5 barrel.
    Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here it is. I made it.

That Poly Choke throws a pretty wicked pattern.

[​IMG]

As for me...I'll leave 19th century the two shot in the closet. This one sports an 8 shot mag, but could take a 20 round drum if I chose to stick it in there.

20 rounds of double ought ought to be enough, dont you think?

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  14. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

How do you like that gun. I really want one because I like the feel of it, but again I'm stuck in my ways. It feels very comfortable to hold and I love the removable clip. Plus I ak style shotgun is just bad a**!

15. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

One thing about tactical firearms, is if you ever use it on a person, it looks bad on your part.

16. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

Out of 13 shotguns, its my favorite.

If you use ANYTHING on a person, its gonna look bad on your part. The tool that you use to do it makes little difference...unless you happen to live in Illinois, where it is illegal to own cool looking guns.

17. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I live in new jersey... Other then letting the home intruder murder you and your family, you look bad. New jersey protects the law breakers and makes life a living hell for law abiding people. So, I feel it's a shoot first, explain later if my life is threatened. But just for that reason, I have a loud mouthed pump action that I feel will speak for itself.

18. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

Mine is gonna look ugly anyway. I got it qualifed to carry with me on patrol a few weeks ago.Now everyone in the dept. wants one.:)

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The FBI tested pistol grips and found that agents were not accurate firing w/o a stock. Like our friend who w rather poke a mule, I found 3" mags rather painful to shoot - I w not shoot 3.5"

But if you can shoot it accurately, more power to ya. IMHO a shoulder stock w pistol grip is a good compromise.

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Uh oh. It does? We should be careful. I know to avoid lethal ammunition now, but...

Bucket, can you cite a case where the so-called tactical appearance of the gun played a role in arrest, charges being brought, a verdict, and/or sentencing? I wanna understand how this works...

Thanks for helping us!

Last edited: May 22, 2012