"Tactical" Scope Needed?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by BlindGoldfish, Jul 17, 2011.

1. BlindGoldfish

BlindGoldfish New Member

I have a Savage 10FCP-K on order and am trying to decide on a scope.

I will be using the gun solely for target shooting. I anticipate starting in the 400-600 yard range, with the goal to get consistent at 800-1000 yards eventually.

Since I'm just getting into rifles and long range shooting (am primarily a pistol shooter currently), I'm not sure what I should go with in terms of a scope. I have about $600 I can spend on a scope, but I'm thinking maybe start with a $300 scope until I get good at 400 yard shots and in maybe a year upgrade.

So would it make my life easier to have a scope that has knobs for MOA/mil adjustments on it, or a more traditional "hunting" scope?

Of the two examples, which would suit me better? Thanks!

Cabela's: Burris Fullfield II Riflescope

Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a Burris scope and like it just fine, it is a 3x9x40 Fullfield II and it is a fine hunting scope. I am sure Burris makes something that would work for you.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

If your going to be going out to 1000 yards a mill dot scope is a plus. Heck actually after about 400 yards or so they can really show their worth especially in windy enviorments. I zero my scope @ 100 yards and use my developed come up sheets for yardages out to 1000. I'll crank the elevation into the scope off my come up sheet but leave the windage knob alone set at the initial 100 yard zero. I use the mill dots and the 0.5 mill hash marks between the mill dots on my scope to pretty darn accurately figure hold off to 0.1 mill. Kind of like Kentucky windage. Much quicker for wind deveation corrections than cranking the windage knob between every shot especially in winds constantly changing speed and directions. Also use the mill dots and 0.5 mill hash marks for hold over to correct elevation when time doesn't allow for cranking the elevation knob up or down.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. BlindGoldfish

BlindGoldfish New Member

I went with the 3200 Elite Tactical 10x. Got a good price, and it will get me comfortable with the gun and has decent optics from what I've read.

Now I need to learn about rings, mounting, and sighting!

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

If you intend to go out to 1000 yards get a +20 moa scope mount. Don't scrimp on the rings either. I use the Badger Ordance scope rings but if you look around you can find other brands of similar construction and quality for a few less $$$. Badger Ordance also makes +20 moa scope mount which again when you look around at other manufactures you can probably beat their price as well. Badger Ordance quality is pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. BlindGoldfish

BlindGoldfish New Member

Alright, another question:

Should I take the scope/rings/rifle to a gunsmith to have everything installed, or is this something I can do myself? I'm pretty handy and am comfortable tinkering with anything from motorcycles to disassembling/reassembling my Glock (granted, not a very complex gun).

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Goldfish.

MRM14 Hit the nail on the head!
    It is something most do not think about unless they get into doing the Long Range shots. I have shot a bit of 1000 yard targets in my day and I do not care if you have a good or high dollar scope you will still need the 22 MOA Scope Ring Base for your rifle, probably even prior to 800 yards.:)

8. BlindGoldfish

BlindGoldfish New Member

I toned back my initial aspirations a bit until I can spend sufficient time with this gun. I'm looking to focus on 500-600 yard targets for now and have gone with a fixed 10x scope. So... mount it myself or take it to a gunsmith?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i mount my own scopes as i frequently swap scopes from rifle to rifle. a level-level-level system is very handy but any small level from the hardware store will do.

what i do is clean the top of the reciever mount the base a small bit of blue locktite on the base screws. if the gun has built in picatiny skip the previous. put the bottom half of the rings on adjust everything for eye relief mark the location with a crayon mark on the scope. torque the rings down i set my wrench to 35 inch pounds.

next level the gun off the base or rail. while level place scope on ring bases lining up with previous index marked for eye relief level scope. attach upper ring half. most of my rings are leupold so i torque the screws to 25 inch pounds. recheck level.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The best scope for the $600 mark, based upon your defined need, is one of the Super Sniper HD scopes from SWFA.

As to your mounting question, read this.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

You should be able to mount the scope yourself with little to no problems. It's good to know how to do this yourself even if it takes a bit more time figureing things out the first time.

As mentioned above, the Wheeler "Level-Level-Level" set works out pretty good and I believe I paid $19.00 for it from Midway a few years ago.

Also, if the turret of the scope you have has a flat on the bottom below the elevation and windage knobs you can level it real good and super cheap with a stack of feeler guages between the flat on the bottom of the scope and the picitanny mount.

And yes Blue locktite.

12. Bools

Bools New Member

My advice, go to a gun shop, or a gander mtn or where ever, find the oldest most experienced lookin guy there, and get him bull****ting about your predicament. The older heads at the shops will usually be there more to help you, instead of being there to sell you something. 80 year old Gus helped me find my AR scope and the setup hasn't failed me yet.

13. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

bsa 6-24x50 illuminated mil-dot reticle for around $125.

good match for your gun

14. LincolnTactical

LincolnTactical New Member

PHP:
    Hey bro the most popular
    PHP:
    rifle scope
    we sell

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

About 95% of the people working in sporting goods stores know nothing about the goods they sell.Only what they have read on packaging and heard from customers.

80 yr old Gus had probably never seen an AR-15 before he went to work there,and the only guns he owns are probably a break open shotgun,a bolt action 22,and a lever action 30/30.And none of them have scopes on them.

16. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

You hit that nail square on the head TX.

17. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

alot of my friends are competition shooters, out of 30 people my friends are always 1,2,3 sometimes they get scattered but not likley. they give me all the good scopes heres a couple. leaupold, swarski, nightforce, march.. even bushnell they said that the 4200 series bushnell 6-24 power is a good scope and its only 450.00 on sale at midway, now more iff you want mil dot..
    however you get what you pay for. good luck!

18. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Have you taken a look at the vortex Tactical line up.
    I just bought a Vortex PST 1X4 30 mm tube and am very happy with it. They also come in higher magnification.
    F.K.