Tactical revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by GatlinCat, Oct 11, 2007.

1. GatlinCat

GatlinCat New Member

What is the best tactical revolver choice, if a revolver can be said to be tactical?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

SFOD-D used suppressed Dan Wesson .357 mags back in the day.

3. hideit

hideit New Member

very good question
    not sure what all is involved in "tactical"
    I will be interested in others thoughts also

4. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Supressed Dan Wesson 357 Mags ? HA HA HA

NO WAY......We had Dan Wessons delivered low bid to the State Police....we sent them ALL back. Absolute garbage --circa 1974

NObody ever used supressed revolvers for anything. Problem being gas from front of cylinder/forcing cone. You have to enclose too much of a revolver to supress it......except on TV

1911's and ruger/colt 22's yes...all the way back to OSS days.

Somebody lied to you !

Tactical revolvers.....in days passed...silky smooth tuned trigger pull and a fist full of speed loaders..Wheel guns are very reliable but ammo limited.
    Make great hide out or back-up pistols.

JMHO

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  5. matt g

You might want to do a little more research on that one.

6. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

7. matt g

Wonder what it was that I fired then.

8. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

More Data:

Some experimental Dan Wesson Suppressors were in fact made in an attempt to see IF by reducing cylinder-forcing cone gap, the noise signature could be reduced. It didn't work out. They were never a team issue item.

Main problem was 357 Mag is supersonic....reducing velocity to sub sonic means 38 Special.

Many prototypes are made for LE and Spec ops...you may have fired one.

They were never purchased or assigned a national stock number (NSN) as they were just another technology experiment that verified why revolvers are not supressed.

The original question was regarding silencers for revolvers.
    In practical terms, it doesnt work. If legal in your state, buy one in .22lr and you will have more fun than you can imagine !

9. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

I guess if I had to pick somthing out of my arsenal and use it in a tactical application it would be my Smith & Wesson 610 in 10 mm, yep that would get the job done!!!

10. matt g

They are by no means the most effective suppressor setup, but they do reduce the signature just enough to make the signature harder to pinpoint. I think the idea was to run a .38 subsonic of some sort as the ammo, which would have cut the signature down a little more.

11. Dibby

Dibby New Member

S&W Model 327 M&P R8

Anyone out there handled one of these? It supposedly was designed as a SWAT "shield gun" to address the issue of semi's being fouled by slides coming in contact with the shield while in use. 8 shots of .357 goodness.

It is a bit pricey but if a tactical revolver is what you are looking for, it fits the bill imho.

Dib

12. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Taurus 608

I don't know anything about the Smith, but I shot a friend's 4" barrel 608 and it looks like a decent gun, even if it is a bit big. Eight rounds of .357 Mag. The thing I noticed is that it didn't look like it would be that hard to make some rimless .357 Mag from .223 brass and use Taurus full-moon clips from their .30 Carbine revolver for a speed-loading capability.

13. Boris

Boris New Member

About 19 years ago I had a part time business in the UK and was for a short time the UK agent for Peters Stahl gmbh. The designer Joe Peters (you will remember the 'Multicalibre' sold in the US by Springfield Arms), is a stand up guy and an extremely good engineer, he did design a fully suppressed revolver and tested it at Bisley Camp. I remember it was based on the S&W 'L' frame and had a clam shell device that closed over the cylinder. Whatever happened to the concept I don't know, I thought it the time a wonderful piece of engineering for a concept that was going to go nowhere. Semi-auto's seem to be an easier choice for the job.

As for the subject in hand I still have my old service S&W M581 .357 calibre revolver, good round, not too heavy, simple and accurate with service sights.

14. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

"Tactical" does not necessarily mean covert, or silent. Sometimes it can mean kicking down doors, yelling and cursing at bad guys while holding them at gun-point, as in a drug raid. Smith & Wesson is making a tactical revolver, but I haven't talked to anyone who's actually used one.

Virtually every street cop I know prefers a semi-auto for primary carry guns, most in .40 S&W, or .45 acp and small revolvers such as J frames for back-up. SWAT guys (I don't know any SWAT gals, but I'm sure they're out there) who I know prefer .45 acp semi-autos for primary carry, and smaller framed semi-autos for back up.

Of course, SWAT cops primary weapons are usually something with a selector switch.
    :cool:

[​IMG]

15. Boris

Boris New Member

More on silenced revolvers

I have mentioned on another thread before, Joe Peters (of Peters Stahl GmbH) built silenced revolvers which where tested by the German GSG9, I remember being at one of the last Bisley shoots and shot it myself. Whether or not GSG9ever ordered it I don't know, but I assure you it was built.:)