tactical rail

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ItsmeShane, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

researching before I buy a 1911. Ive been looking at the ones with the light rail on them, but ive noticed that they are a lot more expensive then the regular ones. is there a simple solution to this like add one yourself or is that part of the lower assembly?

2. utf59

utf59 New Member

That's part of the frame. Depending on your purpose for the gun, you might not want/need the rail.

3. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I just considered having it, incase I want to put a light on it. for looks basically.

4. General_lee

General_lee New Member

You can get a Taurus PT1911 with the rail for a pretty decent price.

5. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I did see a taurus here without the rail for 699. thats a good price compared to the rest ive seen. whats the one with the rail on it run?

6. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

There are ways to put a light on a non-railed model 1911. You can send the gun to Novak and they will install a light rail on the gun, or you can do it yourself BROWNELLS : BERETTA 92/96 & 1911 AUTO LIGHT RAIL MOUNT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools.
    I think it would be a bad idea either way. Getting a quality holster to fit a 1911 with an aftermarket light rail would be a challenge. I'm sure you could get a large tactical rig that could handle it, but then the option of concealed carry is pretty much gone.
    I advise non LE and less experienced shooters to get a flashlight instead of a weapon mounted light. With a degree of training and or experience, the handheld light works very well for most. The risk for some is that with a weapon mounted light you are pointing a loaded and ready to fire gun at everything. That's fine if it's a BG that surprises you during a search, but if it's a kid looking for a lost dog, not so good.
    I carry both types of 1911's (railed and non-railed). I carry a railed 1911 sometimes with a mounted light, and sometimes with out. If I was limited to one 1911, it would be a light rail model, but I am not a new or lightly experienced shooter.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    This gun I also carry in a leather Nighthawk belt holster and a Galco IWB.

7. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

yea that makes sense. I do have a lot of kids that live around me. that wouldn't me good. It would be even worse when they go home crying and tell their parents "Shane pointed a gun at me"

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ain't vanity a *****? [​IMG]

9. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member