Tactical Looking 22 LR Rifles

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by rifleman55, Dec 14, 2010.

1. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

These have become pretty popular lately.
    American Rifleman just did a write up on the one's available now.

The best of the best for the money was the Marlin. Looks like the Ruger version, but about $200. less money.

There were some more expensive one's also, but none outshot the Remington.

Before buying one, check out the Remington, Ruger wants way too much for what is just a 10-22 dressed up.
    The Remington has 30 rd mags available for it also from Rem.

Sig has one that looks like their 5.56 version, but it's pricy for a 22LR.

John K

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Which Marlin rifle were they testing?? A link to the article would help, the only one I found was about a month old and didn't mention a Marlin but did have pictures of the Ruger, Mossberg, Remington, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Sig, ATI and HK. It was a short article that really didn't say much about any of the rifles.

3. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Sorry, the rifle I was refering to is a Remington, not marlin, brain fa#t

Really neat rifle. It looks like you can put any AR buttstock and free floating tube on it that you want, but it comes with some decent one's on it.
    A couple places are have it at $445. retail.
    Of all the 22 Tac rifles tested, the Rem was the most accurate rifle.
    I think it's a great deal for the price, much cheaper than the Ruger.

John K

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've not been able to join the tactical 22 bandwagon. I guess it's a matter of taste. I bought a used Marlin model 60 with a Fiberforce stock and had to replace the stock because I kept thinking I looked like I was getting ready to do a drive by on some rival squirrels.:p

They do sell well though so I figure I'm pretty much in the minority. I do like some of those fancy laminated wood stocks though. I bought a Predator Raptor stock for a 10-22 a while back. I hope to get a bull barrel for it at some point.:)

5. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

I want one just for fun.

My main 22 is a Savage MKII BRJ. It's one fantastic bolt 22 and darn good looking.
    The stock really fits me well.

It shot.4" groups, 5 @ 50 stock. I sent it to SavageGunsmithing for their accuracy job.
    It has now shot a best 5 shot 50 yd group of .117" on a good wind day and the trigger breaks like glass at 8 OZ and is safe.

I really make the CZ and Annie shooters mad, shooting such tight groups with a Savage. I love it :p

I also have a customized 10-22 which is a fun rifle, but it won't shoot with the savage.

John K

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I just picked up a S&W M&P 15-22 for my son. Haven't shot it yet but it's a nifty little rifle and I like the fact that it's been around for a while and is backed by S&W. Extra mags are available from CDNN for $17 - so that's a plus in my book...

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The thing that really sold me on my S&W 15-22 is the actual AR design. It makes take down and maintenance dirt simple.

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have the Colt M4 22 and have nothing negative to report except it's a little pricey, but anything with "tactical" on it costs more. I have the 20 & 30 round Umarex mags, have fired a ton of ammo through it (Win 36gr plated HP) without a single misfeed. I've found it to be very accurate and fun and cheap to shoot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  9. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Don't blame you guys getting the S&W, I just wanted to point out that if trying to save some $$$, the Rem was the best for the lowest price, I have no doubt the S&W and Colt are better quality.

I've just had it with Ruger's QC and attitude as well as their policys.

John K

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of with a Savage rifle. Like with most 22 rifles they usually get a little work before the things do what people buy them for. I was given one a little while ago (Mark II) that I'll be taking down and seeing what I can do to make it suit my needs. Most Savage rifles I've got the chance to shoot have done their part when I've done mine. You can't ask anything more out of one. They don't cost a lot compared to some others and that's a problem with some people but that makes it all the more entertaining tome when I see one of those "not so good" rifles burn up the range. I'm a pretty big fan of the Savage AccuTrigger. I'd like to add a couple of their bigger rifles to my collecton before it's said and done. I have the 22 and a 17HMR. Maybe a 17 Mark II, I do like the idea of the round but have not done a lot of shooting with them.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My shooting partner and I ran another 1100 rds through his M&P22 yesterday with no problems. With the 400 we ran through it two weeks ago it is at 1500 with no cleaning and no failures. Yesterday was drizzly, cold and rainy all day but it did not matter to the M&P.

I slapped the Aimpoint from my M4 onto it and we ran drills all day.

If you are familiar with the operation of the AR the M&P22 is the way to go for training as the controls are exactly the same.

If you just want a neat little plinker there are so many great options in the tacticool .22 world right now.

12. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

I've got the Colt/Umarex M4, love it. Around 6500 rounds thru it, no issues. Also have the S&W 15/22 pistol, love it. BOTH arms put an instant smile on anybody's face- from 8 to 80 yrs old!!!:D

Attached Files:

13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Very cool, rodent.

The fun of shooting these aside, I shoot every day & was spending a fortune on 223 etc. These 22 tac-sim models allow extended range time. If you are running high speed drills, forward and lateral movement-to-target drills, etc, burning 18 to 20 rounds on a 10-15 second course...22 is the only way to go (unless of course you are being paid to shoot Uncle Sam's ammo.)

14. monet61

monet61 New Member

Tactical looking 22

Well, here is my little 10-22. I know a lot of "Real Men" don't like 22s dressed up. I don't care.:p
    It was fun fooling around with this thing, and my grandkids love it.
    And it's cheap to shoot and a breeze to keep running.

Attached Files:

15. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

Really nice! My grandson loves the .22's, and my Ruger Mark II pistol really puts a smile on his face....:D

Attached Files:

16. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have the S&W 15/22 rifle and the Ruger Charger .22LR, both are a blast to shoot. The main ammo is Blazer CCI and Stingers. I smell range time in the morning! :D

I am estimating about 4000 rounds!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  17. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

What I found most fascinating in the American Rifleman article about the tactilook .22's was the difference in accuracy with the three types of ammo they used. Considering they are all .22LR one brand was nearly twice as accurate as the worst brand. The worst brand for accuracy was still a premium ammo.

Most .22 shooting is just plinking, but I shocked at the difference that the ammo made.

18. Hesher420

Hesher420 New Member

My "tactical" 10/22. It makes a damn good squirrel sniper and a cheap plinker too.

Tasco 4x and a Choate Druganov stock
    [​IMG]

19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 795 - $99
    Ramline model 70 stock - $15
    ATI SKS Retrofit kit to make it a folder - $9
    Sling - $9
    Folding Bipod - $20
    Adustable Target Rear Sight - $9
    DIP Adjustable Trigger & Guard - $60

Rifle that looks cool & shoots well - Priceless :D