T/c icon performance

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hoganfireman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

I just bought a t/c icon in .308, anyone out there have one? What have you found to be the best cartrage for the rifle? I will be loading some for this rifle I just want to get an idea.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Well it is advertized as a sub 1moa rifle and all I know is most reviews are better than that. If I was looking today that would be one on a short list.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

3. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

Short list, yeah try a list of four. Ruger, rem, win, andrea t/c. None of my gun shops in mich had a tc on the shelf. Finally a brand new used icon made it to a shop I never get to browse on a regular basis. I can't wait to send some lead downrange.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I don't own a T/C, but I use Hornady ammo in my X-Bolt .308. I use Hornady Custom 150 grain SST and it does everything I could ask for. The Custom grade is an affordable, yet high quality hunting ammo.

If your not a reloader, the blue box Federal 150 grains are good paper punchers, and in a pinch would work ok for hunting. These can still be found for less than $20 / box.

5. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

Oh yeah I just got into reloading, what a money saver. I don't know why I didn't get into it long ago.

6. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

Gator,

whats the farthest you shot your .308, by the way?

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I sighted in at 100 yards, yet to have access to a longer range.

Longest shot I have taken a deer with it is about 50 yards. I shot at deer at 150 or so, but I missed. He was in a hurry to leave.

8. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The one I got this year I waited until I saw brown in the scope and let er rip, hit him about 6 inches behind the shoulder. Thought I had missed, but the blood trail proved otherwise. This was with my .270, not ready to scuff up my X Bolt sitting in a metal ladder stand.

10. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

I got totally skunked this year. Ives seen a total of six deer this year. All on the neighbors property.

11. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Hogan, I could not find a TC Venture last month. They have a recall for trigger sears and there are no rifles at retailers for the foreseeable future. I called the factory and they could not tell me when Ventures (the downmarket version of the Icon) will be available.

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I just verily saw this thread my girl friends father has a Thompson Center Encore in 22-250 that I've shot a lot, at 20yrds I've had 2" groups on good days, as for in 308 I haven't shot one in the caliber but I wouldn't be surprised if you had 1" groups at 100yrds but that depends on your skill.

13. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

I'm pretty confident in the rifles ability, as we'll as mine. I've just went to my regular gun shop and heard the same thing about the ventures. I've read only one bad review about the icon but it was from some no name blogger. He disassembled the icon to inspect it. then shot it and claimed there was a bedding issue.