T/C Encore Rifle Barrels

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by blucoondawg, Jan 21, 2013.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I am wondering if anyone here has an Encore and some different T/C or aftermarket barrels, I am thinking about picking up a varmint barrel for my Encore and would like to hear any reviews on accuracy from different barrels if any are out there.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Which barrel are you wanting? I have the heavy ss 22-250 that's ported amd fluted I yote hunt w and I love it. I have 4 other barrels for it including my 54 cal black powder.

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I was going to get 223 and 22-250 in no particular order. Do you have an Encore barrel or one from an aftermarket or custom shop? What sort of groups do you get out of it?

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

That one is an encore barrel. Accuracy wise I'm getting 1" groups w factory ammo, reloads I have it down to 3/4"

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have been reading on accuracy of these guns and it seems the accuracy can be dialed down pretty well, mainly with measuring the headspace and gap between the firing pin bushing and the back of the chamber and resizing your brass to eliminate as much of this space as possible. I also read a review stating the encore 223 barrel is not very accurate compared to their other calibers but I don't know why that would be.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It has to do w the fact that they can't seem to get the riflings right to get it stabilized good. Iv never been able to figure that out. Not when the 250 will stabilize just fine.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depending on what style of barrel you want me or my partner can build you a custom one in 223 for the encore rifles. If you want more info pm me on it Blue.

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Could be a possibility, gotta wait til tax return gets here to do anything, damned employers take their sweet time getting out the w2 every year, I get it about Feb. 4, really burns my a$$

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Well just let me know

10. kingrider

kingrider New Member

I have a prohunter with the 204ruger and 7mm-08 barrels. Both will shoot well under an inch. The 204 will put 5 shots under a dime any day of the week with bergers or blitzkings. Here's a couple pictures of some 204 groups.

image-3427308063.jpg

image-2732137272.jpg

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Thats some good shootin, if I could get those results I be happy as a pig in mud. Are those from custom or TC barrels? Is your frame stock or do you have trigger work done and oversize pin?

12. kingrider

kingrider New Member

Those are just TC pro-hunter barrels. The only thing that has been touched is the trigger. I ordered a spring kit from mike Bellm. I didn't fool with the oversized pin. The barrel to frame gap can be a pain with some barrels, instead of shimming the breech face out I simply use each barrels chamber as a gage. I use a lee neck sizer die and a redding body die for this. Most people will tell you that you must full length resize for the encore but I found that by doing that I was way overworking my brass. What I do is neck size the brass, load em up and shoot them. Next time I resize I check the sized brass in the chamber. If the barrel doesn't lock up nice and tight I know my brass is beginning to grow and will soon need the shoulder put back with the body die. I don't blame all this on the barrel to breach gap. A break action rifle just isn't as rigid as a bolt action allowing your brass to stretch more. I'm no expert on encores but this is what has worked for me over the last 3 years. I have loaded 204 cases 8 or 9 times with this method and have yet to have any case head failures. Accuracy increased in both barrels as with this method as well.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  13. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

The shoulder bump thing is something I am not yet familiar with, I haven't done much loading for serious benchrest shooting yet, mostly just full length sized hunting shells but I do want to make up some good shells once I get my Encore barrel, I will need to learn the ropes with this. Currently I only have regular Lee or RCBS 2 die sets for rifle.