T-Bolt Sporter in Maple

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Olympus, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Anyone seen one of these guns yet? My LGS has one and I saw it yesterday and fell in love! The one they had was a 17, so I passed on buying. They said they had a 22lr and it sold the first day but they have more on order. I'm a sucker for high gloss fiddleback maple and I'm really having a hard time talking myself out of another bolt gun. What's the consensus on this gun?

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Assuming you're talking about the Browning T-Bolt.........I think that action is way cool. Up until recently, I'd never seen one. My 1st impression was "cool action, don't like the way the gun feels." It felt toy-like or too small, or something.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Well I just broke down and ordered one of these for myself. Apparently these were a new model introduced at this year's SHOT. It should arrive by the end of the week or weekend. (Shipped to my front door now that I have my FFL, not to mention a significant reduction in price.) :cool:

I'll have pictures as soon as I can.

4. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yeah...I hadn't noticed this rifle before..I like it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g49ir-ldtgU[/ame]

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

T-Bolts have been around for a long time. Not a new design, just new with the use of the maple stock.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Browning dropped the T-bolt for a few years. I bought an A-bolt gold medalion. It is second to none. Only made for 18 months. It has only one dislike as far as ammo 33gr Remington or I should say any Remington ammo. From 30gr bt to 40gr HP it is outstanding. The Trigger is awesome. Mine has a Walnut stock.
    Bottom in pic.
    [​IMG]

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I did not know they were reintroducing the T-bolt. My brother-in-law had one when I was growing up. I loved that light fast action. His was a Utah built gun and absoulutely beautiful in a walnut stock and high gloss blue.

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Yeah, they've been out for several years now. Mine should be in on Monday so I'll have some pictures.

9. Vearl Brown

Vearl Brown New Member

I was a gunsmith at BrowninG when they came out in 1965-66. Some time when I have the time I'll tell you how it got it's name. Kind of a funny story. The T-Bolt was the first BrowninG gun to show up with salt cured stocks---that's when the hell for BrowninG began. I retired before the new type T-Bolt came out but the old one was/is a GREAT little rifle. I have worked on and refinished MANY hundreds of them.
    Regards, Vearl Brown

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

What is a salt cured stock?

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Don't know, but they are getting the new maple stocks from a separate company now.

12. natman

natman Member

Back in the 70s Browning was having a hard time finding enough dry wood to make gunstocks. Someone came up with the idea of using salt to draw the water out of the wood. The salt contaminated the stocks and caused vicious rusting, sometimes years later. I've seen some $10,000 guns that were so rusted they couldn't be fired. Browning nearly went out of business over it.

http://www.artsgunshop.com/Salt/Salt_Article-Page-1.htm

13. Vearl Brown

Vearl Brown New Member

Welllll---Your more right than wrong. Salt cured wood first showed up on the T-Bolt in 1967 and NO one knew just what the problem was but they found out---and how !! I was there when this all went down but NEVER heard anything about BrowninG going out of business but NO DOUBT cost them BIG TIME. I only seen salt wood on Belgium guns. Even saw it in the 9mm Hi-Power though not much. I worked on some Mauser's that I took the stock off with a wood chisel so that I could get vice grips on the screw heads not to mention opening up the bolt handle with a heavy hammer. I worked on repaired and refinished (re-blued) many,many of these guns. Mauser's, and .22 Autos & T-Bolts were what I did the most but ANYTHING out of Belgium out of Belgium (including some custom stuff) had salt wood on them.
    NOW !!! let me also state NOT every gun had salty wood on them--THATS A FACT !!!! But a lot of them did. Fact is that BrowninG was NOT the only manufacturer that bought into salt wood. I have seen Winchester's and M-14's that were salty and even Bishop Stocks got in on a piece of the action.
    The idea of using salt was a good idea that worked VERY WELL in the right application (which did NOT include the firearms industry) but somebody wasn't thinking very well. The idea actually goes back into the 1930's and it didn't work well then either but NOBODY did their homework.
    Respectfully, Vearl Brown, Browning Gunsmith # 21 (Retired 1999)

14. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I just got a new T-Bolt and it is the composite stock with the 16" threaded barrel. Everyone picks it up and thinks it's a kids rifle. Then after about a box of rounds down range and I get the same comment, I want this rifle.

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Looking forward to mine. Should be delivered tomorrow.

16. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Hey that's a nice little rifle. Is it made in the USA or is it made in Japan like all the other Brownings I have seen?

17. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

The rifle I just got was made in Japan.

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Pretty sure most all of them are made in Japan now.

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Thanks Vearl & Natman. I cannot imagine anyone being that stupid. Just a moments thought would tell you not to put salt on a gunstock.......

20. Vearl Brown

Vearl Brown New Member

NO SALT in gun stock Wood ??? You should have told that to BrowninG 45 years ago. It would have saved them millions $$$$$.