Firearms Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Synthetics are lighter in the field. That makes a big difference as far as I'm concerned. I see the guys out there with their fancy hand checkered wood stocks and beautifully blued and etched barrels and receivers....most of em can't hit the broadside of a barn. I'm all about function.

HOWEVER, if I had the cash...I'd go for a $3K o/u shotgun with all th egold etching etc. If I had the cash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you ShotgunTom for your insight. I merely gave my opinion based on what i see "in the field". My experience is with hunting with several guys in south Texas. I do not enter competitions or shoot clay targets...they don't taste very good.

What I've seen out hunting...mainly dove and upland game...is workaday guns. Sure, I've seen some hellacious shooters with absolutely stunning guns...but more often it's the every day gun that walks away with a bag full of game. Again, this has only been my personal experience.

Bottom line, I have wood and synthetic stock shotguns. My synthetic is my everyday, bad weather, don't know what to expect, feel most comfy gun. However I agree 100% with your statement about a poor hunt being salvaged by ogling the craftsmanship of a nice walknut stock with quality crafted artwork. And I have modified my wooden stock where I cannot modify my synthetic because it is hollow. It all comes down to personal preference and experience. You say tomato, I say tomato...doesn't really have the same effect in print, HA!

Get outdoors and enjoy any shotgun...better than none at all!

Take care.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.