Switching the safety on an 870?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Buckethead47, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I would have thought this would be a common question. I thought I saw it before too but nothing was found when I searched.

I have a remington 870 express super magnum. I hear people do it, just not sure how. Is it as simple as getting a left handed trigger assemboly? I know the modifying the existing plate is not safe. I would like to be able to use my index finger instead of my thumb. Any punters I should know before I do this does anyone have part numbers for parts I need?

2. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I know my stock says in bold letters no oversized safety switch. I'm going to email remington and see what they say.

3. GunDoc

GunDoc New Member

I've changed many 870, 742, 7400, etc. safeties to a lefty. It's not an incredibly hard job on the older trigger groups but I've never attemtped a conversion on a model with the ISS safety system. American Gunsmithing Association published an article years ago on how to do it step by step, so most long time gunsmiths probably have a copy stashed away for reference. I do.

4. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I emailed yesterday and haven't got a response. With the old trigger group you were able to add metal to it. And re drill the whole. But a conversion on the new trigger groups have been done that same way but is not safe. And having an unsafe firearm is bad news.