swiss rifle 1881

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by ironsights, May 21, 2010.

1. ironsights

ironsights New Member

have an interesting Swiss rifle from 1881, I believe it is Italian designed and Swiss manufactured.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Veterelli! .44 rim fire. You can convert it to center fire in a few minutes. All the info needed to convert and resize cases is on line. I found a real nice one still in rimfire for $125.00. JP

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If I must say it:

[​IMG]

4. ironsights

ironsights New Member

My father bought me this rifle, 50 some odd years ago at a sporting goods store in downtown Los Angeles for 9.99USD, we took it apart cleaned and sanded the wood and cleaned the bolt and bore, but never fired or even knew what caliber this weapon was. I pulled it out of the gun rack when I read others speak of their Swiss/Verterli and what a cool weapon it is. I am still nervous about firing this old weapon.

5. jpattersonnh

Don't be. If you have rimfire ammo it is worth big money. BP cartridge.

6. ironsights

ironsights New Member

swis rifle

thanks for the info, should i have the bolt assembly checked after years of non-use?
    thanks

7. jpattersonnh

Steel does not change over time. I would take the bolt apart and visually inspect and clean it. The Swiss were anal about rifle condition. The round is pretty low pressure.

8. Esteban

Esteban New Member

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Whenever I shoot an old rifle for the first time, I always hold it out at arms length away from my body and my face. Always check the action first. After you make sure it is not loaded, you should also look down the barrel to check for rust and heavy pitting.