Swiss Predicament

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by zaitsev44, Jul 22, 2014.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

No, I'm not trying to decide between baby Swiss and normal Swiss :p I'm trying to decide between a K31 and a M1911. I've been itching for a K31 for a while, but I was going to order the K31 when I was a M1911 rifle. Now I'm torn. I've done some Googling to no avail. Now I'm looking to the ones I should've gone to in the first place. The M1911 is a 1913 production, and the K31 is a 1942, and with the '42, that would fill my 1942 gap to have a rifle from every year of the Second World War. I know the basics, barrel length difference, overall length and size difference, and bolt design difference. I've read conflicting things about which tends to be more accurate, and which has a faster and smoother bolt. The K31 comes with the sling and muzzle cap, and the M1911 just has the muzzle cap, though this doesn't matter much to me. There's also a $25 difference, with the M1911 being the cheaper option. I think the K31 is a nicer looking rifle, and both have the walnut stocks. Also the option of the St Maries scope mount for the K31 is enticing for hunting since both are well known for their superior accuracy. The seller describes the K31 as a "good bore, light storage grease, and visible wear to the throat area and 7.55 at the muzzle" and the M1911 as "very good, bright and strong and 7.57 at the muzzle". The M1911 is a refurb with mismatched bolt and magazine, and the K31 has a matching magazine but mismatched bolt. The K31 has a green band of paint at the forward end of the stock, I don't know if this means anything, maybe one of ya'll can educate me. I don't know if any have the troop tags, but if the seller can answer this, if one has a troop tag and the other does not, then I will lean to the one with the tag. What do ya'll think? All feedback is appreciated and hopefully I won't need to leave this up to a coin toss:p

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

The coin toss was best two out of three. Heads was the K31 and tails the M1911. The coin landed on Heads two times in a row :p

4. samnev

samnev New Member

I have both models. There doesn't seem to be much difference in accuracy.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I've never seen a miss matched K31. As for the St. Marie mount, it really is not needed. I bought one, scoped the rifle, found I was more effective without it. Sold it as a package with the scope. I've had 3 K31's. I ended up keeping my 1st, a 1952. Just a great shooter. Only have 3 unopened battle packs of GP11. I do reload for it. Since it is a .308, I found Combined technology moly 168grSP shoot incredibly well. I use Graf brass I bought at a sale for normal, informal shooting. I also have 20 pieces of Norma brass that takes it to a different level with the same charge and bullet. Only 200 Combined tech bullets left, so I will need to work up a load for Prvi 165grSP bullets. IMR4064 works very well. I also use it for .308, light 6.5x55, some 8x57, even .223.

6. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

I have 2 K31's. They are awesome. 1 wears the no-drill mount. It is a laser beam.

7. Capybara

Capybara New Member

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Flip a Coin !..................:rolleyes:

9. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

10. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

All things being equal......... The lineup is specific.
    Most accurate......... 1911 & 96/11
    Second.................. k31
    Third..................... k11

This is based on some 50 years working specifically with Swiss rifles and years of field proofing load data and field testing our own product line at our Swiss Products facility here in Lost Prairie Montana. :D

11. jpattersonnh

So, You never have had ammo issues. Interesting. You state specifics, but where are the facts?? Your statement is so generalized, but has no base for the reader.

WHY?????? BTW, I do not agree with you. That is my generalized statement, not backed by fact.

12. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Want credentials? Google in Swiss Products or Pierre St.Marie.
    There are some 32 k31s, 14 1911s, 8 k11's 4 96/11s' 2 zfk55s, Vetterlis and other Swiss firearms in the armoury. Over a very long time all of these rifles have been used in the load data collecting for these rifles.

Swiss Products LLC is well known in Europe including Switzerland and England. We have two US distributors, Graf & Sons and Brownells. I've devoted the greater part of my adult life to Swiss rifles, am the co-founder of Swissrifles.com
    My 1,000 yard PS Diopter is the first and only long range sight system made by an American to be approved by the Swiss SSV as sanctioned for all international matches. Our new 1911 long rifle Diopter will soon follow suit.

Other than that, please do disagree. I'm not the sharpest tool in the Swiss shed.

13. jpattersonnh

If you are affiliated w/ St. Marie why did you not state so to begin with?? There are many guys that are shooters of the wonderful Swiss rifles and would love to hear about your newer products. I for one would love a diopter sight for my K31.

14. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

You're right, of course, but I didn't really want to announce myself. I actually joined these forums looking for medication, herb and this Collodial Silver advice. I was pleasantly surprised to find a C&R section!
    I'm an OldGuy, half cranky and retired. My kids are constantly talking about an "attitude" adjustment. I was pretty nice when I was younger, but I think more than anything, watching my beloved country sliding away has had me on a pretty much constant edge.

Please accept my apologies. I try to leave Swiss Products to my Son and the crew but I still have a hard time avoiding Swiss Rifle posts. I really shouldn't be posting at all anymore.

My name is Pierre St.Marie and I should know better. You will have a PM shortly.

P

15. jpattersonnh

Pierre, I have dealt with your company although it was many years ago. Very professional and very attentive to the customer. Glad another grumpy old man is here. JP

16. TheDevilYouLove

TheDevilYouLove New Member

Make sure you stock up on GP11, that stuff won't last forever. I have 4 K31s. Love them all.