swiss K31

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by xring3, Nov 15, 2011.

1. xring3

xring3 Member

some time ago I bought a K31 from Widners. Upon cleaning I discovered the "troop tag" under the buttplate. I was able to contact the Swiss citizen that this rifle was issued to and he sent back a confirmation letter stating when it was issued to him and how long it was in his possession. I wonder how much this info adds to the value of the rifle?

Attached Files:

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Nothing really. If it were William Cody's cap and ball revolver and you had a letter, well that would change things.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah it doesn't really add any monetary value, it's just cool as hell to have it. It could add some sentimental value though, if your easily sentimental.

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Finding a troop tag with a K31 is fairly common so it doesn't really add any value to the firearm. It adds more of a historical/cool factor to it if anything.

5. xring3

xring3 Member

Valuewise the best part was getting a response from Werner at all. He was surprised that the rifle ended up in the USA.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Have you maintained communications with him?

7. xring3

xring3 Member

I sent him photos of the rifle before and after refinishing the origional stock....(BTW I did not "bubba" the wood, just refinish it). I also sent him a 5 shot group that I made at 100 yards that you could cover with a quarter! I never touched the sights or made any adjustments. What a rifle!

8. xring3

xring3 Member

opps! He has not written back to this date. He must be in his mid to late 70's or early 80"s. Hope he is still with us.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I have another thread where I'm asking for info and opinions on the K31. You just convinced me. I'm a good shot, and can usually wring the capabilities out of a good rifle. Not perfect mind you, I throw a flyer every now and then, but at 100 yards, if the rifle is capable, I can usually make it do what it's supposed to. I'm so getting one of those.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You can get K11`s at J&G Sales.

Swiss 1911 7.5mm Swiss Carbine Straight Pull Rifle, Used, Overall Very Good Condition.

11. jpattersonnh

The K31 is as accurate as my Swede 1896 and 1938 models. The only Swedish military rifle that beats it every time is my M41b sniper, using iron sights of course. The K31 is a little more finicky in developing handloads as the actual shape of the bullet is more important then in other calibers. I found that 165gr Combined Technology sp Silver tip BT work very well. Sadly, they discontinued the silver tip for the ballistic tip. I bought all I could when they discontinued it, at reduced prices. Brass is also important. Norma brass produces tighter groups then Graf or Prvi. For hunting it really would not make a difference, at range though, it does. You can find brass at estate sales of collectors quite frequently. I bought a bag of 200 new pieces of Graf for $20.00 last year.

12. xring3

xring3 Member

If it were up to me I would opt for the K31.....I think it is the most up to date and strongest action.....they are all pretty good though.

13. xring3

xring3 Member

I found the primer pockets a little too tight and the dimensions of the brass not as consistant on the prvi as compared to the norma brass.....of course that is why norma costs 3 times more. I mentioned this on the Graf comment section and got the wrath of other customers for not liking it. I always thought the comment sections of a customer review was for pro and con.

14. jpattersonnh

Your right, if someone finds what they perceive as a flaw or sub standard, they should put that in the review. Norma brass in 6.5x55, 7.5x55, 9.3x57 spoiled me. It is much better then any other brass I've used.

One thing about the K11, K31, they are way over engineered. I've never seen another rifle that come close. But that is what makes them such a superb rifle I guess. If they only had a receiver sight.