Swiss 1889 sporter carbine

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by angryhart, May 29, 2013.

1. angryhart

angryhart New Member

I'm new to this so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a Schmidt-rubin 1889 sporterized carbine. I've looked thru every possible place for ammo for it but no luck. Modern 7.5 is no good as the bolt will become a face torpedo. Heard 30-30 rebarrelling is option. Anyone?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And where ARE my manners? Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, drop by the intro thread and say howdy.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you hand load the GP-90 {7.5X53.5} can easily be made trimming the GP-11{7.5X55} to the GP-90 length and using the GP-90 loading data. :)

5. angryhart

angryhart New Member

Good info c3. But I think that reloading is too precsion for me. I just don't trust myself to do it. I have noone who is set up for it either. You bet heard of someone rebarrelling?

6. angryhart

angryhart New Member

It has a stamp in the receiver that says gp-11. Would that mean mean it was proofed for 7.5x55 or would that have been the work of someone just thinking "Swiss rifle.... Takes gp-11 ammo..." Either way I'm not gonna try it. Any idea of what it would be worth? I'm assuming probably not a lot because hand loading takes time and skill and there isn't ammo for it. Sorry to keep beating a dead horse. I'm just a big fan of the old warhorses and the like. I just can't see this nice little carbine as a safe queen or wall hanger...

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Swiss 1896/11 was chambered in the 7.5X55.:)

8. angryhart

angryhart New Member

So I took a look at an empty 7.65x53 mauser casing. Very similar. It chambered, pin strikes primer, and ejected. Can the brass be fire formed from these, or do I have a paperweight.

9. Polock

Polock New Member

angryhart--Can't give you any expert advice on your rifle, but back in the late '50s/early 60's sporterized Swiss rifles were advertised by Ye Olde Hunter, Klein's, etc in caliber .308 Win. and, IIRC, 30/30 Win.

Might be worthwhile to do a chamber cast--you may have one of those guns.

10. angryhart

angryhart New Member

I heard that too. But I heard that its because of the position of the locking lugs on the 1889. They are toward the rear of the bolt. K31 locking lugs are further forward. It would be sweet if it was .308 but is that action strong enough to hold a .308? I'm having a hard time getting ahold of the only gunsmith we have so it might have to wait a few more weeks.

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

What do you mean?

12. angryhart

angryhart New Member

Early model schmidts lugs are not able to withstand the recoil of a modern 7.5 round. They were chambered for 7.5x53.5 paper patched rounds. A 7.5x55 modern round has too high of pressure and the bolt will become an eye torpedo and blow out of the gun ( or so all available info says). Shmidts changed there bolt design to the locking lugs further forward on the bolt I think in the 89/96 model. If mine is a .308 the pressure levels would still be unsafe.
    There is only one gunsmith in this god forsaken city who could check all this out for me, but is also very busy and not often available.
    I've been told that 7.65x54 argentine brass can be used with .303 or .308 bullets and 30 or so grains of powder which would keep the pressure level safe, but finding reloading equipment around here is impossible and finding components for the rounds is like finding the holy grail. I think my best bet is to put it up for auction and leave it at that.

13. angryhart

angryhart New Member

At any rate, I have not the patience or time to work on it. It's headed for the auction.

14. Polock

Polock New Member

I can definitely identify with lack of time/patience! As for your rifle, IIRC those old ads for Ye Olde Hunter, et al, showed the magazine well forward of the trigger guard, as on the 1889.
    Also, the Swiss modded the 1889 to use the "new" 7.5 round, calling it the 1889/11.
    Best of luck with the auction---