Sweet dreams????

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Zombiegirl, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Have taken Ambien for as long as I can remember. I never slept well even as a teen. I'm going to stop taking it tonight as I've been only taking a half with a melatonin for a month. I'm scared that I won't sleep. My Principal swears by taking cherry concentrate at night. I just drank it (yuck btw) and we'll see how it goes. I want to be medicine free and this is the only one I still take.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I hope it works for you. I think maybe your anxiety about stopping the Ambien might keep you awake. It's good to be trying it on the weekend. I've never really had sleep problems. Maybe sleeping too much or sleeping in short spurts. But I could probably fall asleep standing up leaning against a wall when I'm tired. :eek:

What exactly do you mean by Cherry Concentrate? Pill form? Syrup?

Let us know how it goes. I wish you success and good sleep.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Didn't go well, plus Fathead had to get up for work at 4:00 this morning so of course I can't go back to sleep. I think you're right about the anxiety part. I am hopeful that after a few days it'll be better. I think I'm going to work out a little extra too to try and tire myself out. It's a liquid from the vitamin section. You mix 2 ounces of the concentrate with 5 ounces of water.

4. winds-of-change

Try to relax before going to sleep. When my kids were little we'd all lay across my bed before I tucked them into their own beds. I would have them close their eyes and we'd go on a 'journey'. I'd tell a story such as, "Imagine you are on a warm beach laying in the sand. You can feel the sun on your face and there are palm trees lining the sky. You hear the seagulls calling as they fly over the water looking for food. You can hear the gentle lapping of the waves....."

It would relax the kids and slow them down to prepare for sleep. They absolutely loved going on these 'journeys'. Give it a try. You can work on relaxing muscles starting with your neck and working down to your feet. Also, if you drink any caffeinated drinks, ease off them. Not just right before bed but from, say, noon on. Don't read in bed or watch TV in bed. Make bed a place for sex and sleep only. Try to go to bed at the same time every day. Of course, there will be exceptions for nights out on the town.

You know how shooters always talk of practicing to enforce 'muscle memory'? Well, the same goes for sleep. You have to train your body to get into a routine and to know laying in bed means going to sleep.

Good luck. I am absolutely MISERABLE when I am tired.

Oh, yeah, here's another offer to help you sleep. Today I am cleaning out my garage. You want to tire yourself out and come over and help? I'll even feed you dinner. Come on......I'm not too far from you. :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

If you were closer I would take you up on that.

6. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Im sorry that it didn't work out well. Maybe as you continue on without your body will get used to it.

But, if you don't level out there are several things you can do to help yourself.

As we all know, a glass of warm milk does actually help. As does helping our bodies to create more melatonin without taking pills. The melatonin pill does help a lot of people. But it is something that our bodies naturally produce. The problem is that light affects melatonin production. Blue light in particular. When we see that spectrum of light it tells our brains that it is time to be awake. So in addition to the herbal things you can do, as well as keeping your mind active all day (even when not working) you can wear glasses that block out blue light for the few hours before you want to go to bed. Computer and TV screens emit a lot of blue light. So if you are unwilling to buy or wear the glasses try to avoid using the computer and TV for at least an hour before bed.

7. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

That's really interesting, I didn't know about the blue light thing.

There's an amino acid, L-Ornithine I think, that helps with sleep, I'll double check and let you know what it's called.

Meditation and yoga help me. I have horrible nightmares, if I go to sleep when I'm stressed they're worse. If I take some time for me and just relax before going to sleep it helps.

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Let me know Cinder what it's called. I have nightmares too. I had a bad dream this weekend and I was yelling "help me" when Fathead woke me. My step daughter came out an hour later and said " I think I'm hearing things. Somebody was yelling help me, help me". I just busted out laughing. I actually usually do good falling to slerp but I can't stay asleep. That is interesting about the blue light.

9. Cinderocka1989

Edit: ornithine will help clean your kidneys not help you sleep.

10. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

I have horrible night terrors. But Cinder is right, meditation does help a lot. I also have an MP3 player with rain falling on a house, I almost always sleep well when that's playing. I try not too take melitonin. I don't know how true it is, but Ive read that taking too much of it can trick your body into not producing it anymore. But that very well might not be true. So I have those tinted shooting glasses that block out blue light that I wear for a few hours before bed, and try to either meditate for a half our or read from a book.

Also, I don't drink or eat anything with caffeine in it after about four PM. Coffee and soda isn't the only thing with caffeine in it. Chocolate (that means hot chocolate too) as we probably all know, has a type of caffeine in it.

I exercise regularly and a lot. But haven't really gotten into Yoga. So thanks Cinder, I might try it out.

Oh also. Tryptophan is natural and helps with a good nights rest.

11. Cinderocka1989

I used to sleep at my friend's house in high school to help with them. Yoga helps with a lot of things, I don't consider yoga part of my exercise, it's just taking time for me. :)

12. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

They're horrible, and sometimes last an hour after I wake up. Ill definitely look into yoga.

13. winds-of-change

How have you been sleeping, Zombiegirl? I've been thinking about you.

14. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Not really.....I haven't been on the computer yet since I'm visiting my niece at Ball State. I'm still going to message you.

15. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I had trouble sleeping at one point in my life...exercise helped me some and so did Tylenol Simply Sleep. Hope things get better for you! It's no fun when you are tired all the time.

16. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I have never slept well. I remember sleeping a whole night without waking only once. It stands out in my mind because I couldn't believe it. I was also a kid then. I'm trying to not take any new meds since I quit taking Ambien. I am going to start exercising more to see if that helps. I drink zero caffeine so there's nothing to eliminate there.

17. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

No chocolate or tea or anything?

18. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I won't drink anything with color in it so I drink water mostly. If I want a pop I drink Sierra Mist which is caffeine free. I eat a couple dark chocolate Hershey kisses here and there. I don't like regular chocolate.

19. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Wow and I thought I denied myself too much. Im impressed.

20. Cinderocka1989

Random fact for the day, the caramel color used in dark sodas is worse for you than most the other ingredients.