Swedish Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Gunnut-45B, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Gunnut-45B

Gunnut-45B New Member

Hello everyone,
    I hope someone out there can help me with something. My Swedish Mauser has a rear iron sight on it that I've never seen another exactly like it. I've seen a notch version but not a peep like mine. I'm not sure what this means as far as rarity is concerned, and if it would be worth more etc. I'll post pics of it. They're not awesome quality pics. Sorry. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've never seen one like that.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Never seen one like that ither, don`t think its factory tho, I think someone built that & did a good job on it. Is it a m/96-38 or a m/38 & where is the bayonet lug ?...............

4. xring3

xring3 Member

I have seen a rear sight like that years ago but do not know the history of it. I would tend to say it was some sort of target configuration. I also think it is a military type but not common. BTW....I am not an expert....but I really like Swedish Mausers.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

Is that a square peep? Or is it the angle/lighting?

6. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

I had one like that. It was made in Germany. Have you read all the stamped lettering?

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It is a match rifle. Using a dial sight for increased precision adjustment for military matches. Not rare, but not as common as your run of the mill issue rifle. They would generally be valued higher than the standard Swede.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

^^This^^. A friend of mine in NC has one with a sight like this. It was his dad's old deer rifle back when I lived there in the late 80s. With his old Mauser, Brian's dad was the most hated man at any turkey shoot he showed up at. Nice rifle Gunnut.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have literally seen dozens of Swede rear sights & I have never seen that one, I still think it is home made..............

10. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

The one I had was made in Germany near the end of the war. It had that exact sight. The only difference between mine and the one pictured was the barrel length. Mine was about 25 inches.
    Gunnut-45B, have you looked at the lettering stamped into your Sweede Mauser?

11. smarquez

smarquez New Member

It's worthless, let me know where it is, I'll come haul it away for you.

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You never said what Make & Model it was.....................

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Outstanding marksman were chosen in each company. They were each issued a rifle with the more precise rear sight. After the war these were issued to rifle teams. Many were imported to the U.S. from the 1950s through the 1970s. They are a nice find.:)

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I passed up that old $300 swede again today at the gun show. Maybe ill have the funding next month.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Would not have that sight, if it is some kind of rare marksman sight been on a m/41 & not a m/96-38 ?...............

16. Gunnut-45B

Gunnut-45B New Member

Thank you all for your comments! I apologize for the EXTREMELY delayed response! I have been VERY busy with school and a new job. I am sad to say that the rifle pictured on my original post is no longer with me. In happier news though, I am now the proud owner of a unmodified 1903-A3! I will post pictures on a 1903 thread if I can find one. Thank you again!

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I hope you got a pretty penny for the Swede. That is a sight used in their equivalent of our CMP competitions. It is a very rare variation of the SM sikte m/58. Bet that sight is worth more then the '03 you bought.

18. Gunnut-45B

Gunnut-45B New Member

:p

I sure hope iot wasn't worth more than the rifle I just got. It was around $700. You are the first one to tell me ANYTHING like this...even outside of this forum/thread. I'm nervous now. I really hope I didn't just get screwed over! :(

19. jpattersonnh

You lost a couple hundred if the '03 was $700.00. But you may have gotten a great deal on the '03, but most I see are still in the $500.00 range. You also would have had to find a collector that wanted your Swede, That would have been fairly easy over at Gun Boards.

20. jpattersonnh

Just to add a note. We all have lost on collectables, it is part of the learning curve.