Swedish K31 info

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by trip286, Nov 10, 2011.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've been very interested in these for quite a while. Can anyone point me towards more information, like a site similar to 7.61x54r.net? Maybe give me some reviews based on personal experiences, some info on good reliable ammo sources, stories, general opinions? I'm looking at quality, accuracy, and collectability, in that order.

I just want to absorb the info that I can, much like I did with the MN 91/30 before I finally went out and got one.

One of the things I just find so curious is the straight pull bolt. I know this isn't unheard of, and I've even had the opportunity to fire a Blaser with a straight pull bolt, thought it was very sweet.

I'd love to pick one of these up. I've also heard that they are among the most accurate of all milsurps.

Give me some opinions and info please!

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

SwissRifles This is a link!

Aim surplus is advertizing a new shipment.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The round has a very good ballistic coefficient, meaning that it holds up quite well at long range. Very well made rifles, easy to scope with the right mount. Made to sit on top of a mountain, shoot someone on next mountain. Swiss Milsurp ammo is marvelous. Get it while you can. Non-corrosive, just about match grade. Stocks will usually look like they belonged to a reservist that stood around with the butt in snow (because they did) Got the bayonet, sling, tool kit, muzzle cap and stripper clips for mine. Straight pull bolt is FAST- slap slap.

4. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

C3 covered it all.They are very accurate with the mil-surp ammo. I got mine from Aim back in 2006-walnut stock for $99.95. They keep going up in price so get one asap. Best regards:)

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Thanks for the input and links guys, thar's exactly what I was looking for.

6. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Another one of the straight pull action rifles was the:
    STEYR M95 CARBINE 8X56R.. They kick like a mule and can "only" be loaded by stripper clips but another unique rifle to look at adding to your collection..

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

How much does one of those run? I've looked at some offerings of steyr's and most of them I couldn't afford in my wildest dreams.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The Steyr is a WWI vintage rifle/Carbine. The problem is finding ammo, or cheap ammo. They use an en-blok clip. They were originally chambered in 8x50r but were later rechambered for 8x56r. The sights are set for arshins, not yards or meters. Neat guns. They are fairly cheap because ammo is hard to find now. Hornady has a run of ammo yearly.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You can get a nice Steyr for around 200 bucks & Midway has ammo on the shelf for about 25 dollars, so there is 2 reasons to go get you one if really want one.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Send me a link if you have one. And on ammo, what quantity does 25 bucks get?

11. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

The Swiss GP11 ammo is superb. When I handload 8mm Mauser, .303Brit, 7.62X51 and 7.62X54R, I can improve greatly on milsurp accuracy. But after many tries, I cannot quite match the accuracy of 7.5 Swiss surplus! It's a bonus that it uses .308 bullets. :cool:
    Now if only they'd made that beautiful brass in Boxer instead of Berdan!

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Do you think a spitzer bullet type, like that in the 7.62X54r, could improve upon it any? Just wondering, I don't even know the type that's in the surplus GP11 ammo. I don't reload anyway. Ammo for my MN is so cheap I just can't justify it. I have been thinking about getting one of those LEE classics kits to reload for my .357 mag though.

13. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

The main problem seems the Spitzer bullet they use has a very unique ogive, and our common bullets can sometimes be a poor match to the K31's short chamber. There are premium bullets that come close - but they are too spendy for just sport shooting.
    The guys over on the SwissRifles forum have a wealth of knowledge, and I've learned much from them.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm gonna have to head over there and introduce myself...

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member