Swapped my buttstock for magul buttstock

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Bensar, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Bensar

Bensar New Member

I swapped my original buttstock out for a magpul. I installed the new buttstock with the new buffer and buffer spring and now when I release the charging handle it sounds like the spring in the new buttstock is shaking or "ringing". The old buffer was longer than the new buffer. My question is, is that normal for the new spring and buffer to make that sound? I don't remember if my old buffer made that sound I don't think it did. Should I install the old buffer with the new spring and aftermarket buttstock? Thanks

Ben

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ok, you didn't replace the receiver extension, right?

Anyway, the buffers should be the same length, the springs should be close. If there's a big difference maybe you're mixing rifle and carbine buffers/springs.

What was the reason for buying a new spring and buffer along with the Magpul stock? To get an H buffer?

Ringing? Are you chambering a round or just letting the bolt slam against the barrel extension?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bensar,

If you purchased the Magpul Stock & Extension Tube (Buffer Tube) Kit with the spring and buffer for it. Just take the spring out and lube it with well with a good lube like Breakfree, G-96, Frog Lube other good lube. That should stop the ringing sound, it is just dry! That is a normal issue if you bought all the components as a kit! If you purchased them seperately as Quentin referred to that could be another issue.

4. Bensar

Bensar New Member

Thank you Quentin and Sniper03 for replying. I purchased the buttstock off a guy from armslist.com. It was a even swap out. The springs are from what I remember the same length it is the buffers that are different lengths. The original buffer is probably 2" longer than the buffer that came with the aftermarket buttstock. The only reason I installed the new spring and shorter buffer is because I thought I had too and they came in the package with the buttstock. I still have the original spring and buffer should I put those back in with the aftermarket buttstock? And the ringing is from just letting the blot slam I'm not chambering any ammo. Is this OK to fire like this or should I go back to the old spring and buffer? Thanks

Ben

5. Bensar

Bensar New Member

It also came with the extension tube as well that I also installed.

Ben

6. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If your old buffer is 2" longer don't use it with the new buffer tube. If the Magpul kit was sealed and not a mixmaster then use the new parts not your old ones.

pawjr74, carbine buffers come in standard, H, H2, H3, 9mm weights. No doubt there are more. They're used with the normal M4 adjustable stocks. Rifle buffers are a different creature and must be used in a rifle receiver extension.