SW40VE Sigma (New)

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by SGT-MILLER, Jan 25, 2009.

1. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Well, here is my new purchase. I'm happy to be stimulating the economy in my own way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Looks good. (I had a hard time saying that) :p :p

Now take her out and get her dirty!

Lets see some targets! :D

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

A little side note:

I did a few dry-fires to see how the trigger pull is (everyone knows that is the main complaint for the Sigma; heavy trigger pull). To me, the trigger pull is not hardly bad at all. It is noticeably heavier than my XD9, but it is still comfortable to me.

I guess I'm part of the minority that doesn't mind the Sigma trigger.

All in all, I'm happy I bought it. :)

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

From what I've seen, the S&W Sigmas are 1 of the sleepers in so far as unsung bargains on the market. IF you can live with that trigger, more power to you. I have since learned how to perform/rework trigger/action jobs on them that RELIABLY reduces the pull weight approx 45%, and reset distance 30-35%. After doing that, they shoot GREAT for that type pistol.

And NO I'm NOT trying to drum up business for myself on here-just letting you know what YOUR gunsmith SHOULD be able to do for them.

5. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Congrats...

Nice gun, I'm notice that you are falling in love with 2-tones ....but I would prefer the XD(m) in .40S&W... but the Sigma is good too... here in Venezuela years ago the Sigmas were popular but only in 9mm.
    Enjoy it and we're waiting your review about your 2 new babies...

6. Sigma40

Sigma40 New Member

I have the Olive Drab. Love mine. Stays on the hip cause I open carry most of the time. 14+1 plus an extra mag in the pouch on the holster. Hollow points as the cherrry on top of the mix.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

NC is open carry?

I've found a reason to move North! :cool:

8. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Those Glock & Wessons are a great deal. Enjoy getting it dirty.

9. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Yep.... I call the Sigma the Glock that is made in the USA and has slightly better case head support.

It's a Smock!

:D

10. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

SMOCK. Thats a good one, better than Glock&Wesson. I've also heard SWOCK. When Glock sued S&W for copying there design Smith made some improvements and still manages to sell them for half the price and the're just as reliable. Did you get it dirty yet?

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think SGT is too busy out buyin' new guns to actually shoot them! :D

Must have been a big refund SGT! :eek:

Come-on, lets see some targets!! :cool:

12. snipers215

snipers215 New Member

I bought the .40 sigma a few weeks ago... just now getting used to the trigger pull and distance.

Haven't had any FTF's... i'm hittin' a 5" circle at 20 yards consistently.
    The Sig was gettin a bad rap on some other forums but i'm fallin for it big time....

13. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I'm waiting for my renewed range membership combos for access to the area to come in the mail.

I shoot at a private, member's only range (which I love, BTW).

I'm getting a little annoyed by how they seem to be taking their sweet time with this.....................:mad:

I have a brand new Springfield XD 9mm, a brand new S&W Sigma .40 cal, and a new to me Mosin Nagant M91/30.

I have 150 rounds for my rifle, and about 200 rounds each for my pistols.

Yeah............imagine yourself as a kid, and you just got a brand new toy for Christmas. Then your parents say, you can only look at it for awhile and they'll let you know when you can actually play with it.........

Anyways....[/RANT OFF]

14. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

I like my S&W 40VE, shot it back to back with my S&W442, and the 40VE has a little lighter pull than the 442. the 40VE has never given me any issues, easy takedown, easy clean. Great gun for the $.

15. supergus

supergus New Member

NC just doesn't specifically have a law prohibiting open carry, although they "advise against it":rolleyes: It's not illegal though. But you do have to be careful with that whole "going armed to the terror of the people" thing. NC seems pretty cool on that though.

16. Pasifikawv

Pasifikawv New Member

horrible sights

I bought a SW40VE recently and although I am generally pleased with the quality of material and action, the thing is impossible to aim accurately. At a distance of approximately 10 yards, rounds strike about 10-14" below point of aim.

Thinking I was doing something wrong, I turned it over to my NRA LE Instructor/range buddy and the results were the same. We even tried using different ammo. To come anywhere close to grouping near bull, one must raise the front sight complete above the sight window at 10 yards. To me, that is not acceptable and I am contacting S&W to see about repair, replacement or refund. A firearm that cannot be aimed is not very useful.

I don't mind the heavy trigger but it has to shoot in the general vicinity of where its pointed, for crying out loud. It won't even hit paper when using a slow-fire target at 10 yards. The same day at the range, we fired two Glocks, a Beretta and a Bersa. We were both able to keep a good group around bull at various distances from 3-7-10-15 yards - except with my new SW40VE.

Maybe I just got a defect. Hopefully S&W will stand behind their product as I am requesting that they make amends for this glaring defect.

17. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

How are you engaging the trigger? If you are pulling the trigger in a quicker fashion in order to compensate for the heavy trigger pull, you will put your rounds off-target every time.

The Sigma is tricky to shoot well. The heavy trigger means that more muscles are flexed when pulling off a shot. The more muscles that are flexed, the more chance you will be off target.

All pistols are test fired before they leave the factory. This is to ensure that the pistol indeed works, and it is also to ensure the pistol shoots where it's supposed to.

If you are pulling your shots 10-14 inches below point of aim at 10 yards, try different ammo (180 grain tends to be finicky as far as aim - go with a lighter load). Also take your time, and really pay attention to fundamentals. It took me awhile to get the hang of this pistol, and I can put rounds within 2 inches at 15 yards with my other pistols if I took my time.

There is a small chance that the sights might be that off, though. I would see about getting a pistol rest from someone, and test he Sigma that way. If it shoots straight on from the machine rest, you will know that it is you and not the pistol.

Good luck.

18. calibaker420

calibaker420 New Member

hey stalking bear how did you modify the trigger pull on your sigma cuz i just bought one i think it is a nice gun but i would like to reduce the trigger pull on mine it seems to be at about 9 or 10 lbs currently. now im not complaining but i think it would be a lot more fun to shoot if i could reduce it by almst half.

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It's not simple to do a full action tune to a Sigma. I totally disassembled it, polished all contact areas, fitted everything I could, reworked the disconnector, and made my own springs for it. Fairly basic but if you had to pay a gunsmith for the work it would cost more than the pistol. I think by now you should be able to just buy a Wolff spring kit for it. Like I said, quite a job but the results are worth it.