SW 66 38 special question

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by CaseyChadwell, Apr 28, 2014.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I recently bought my fiancé a SW model 66 from the performance center in 38 special. Its a great little gun and I think its going to be on my hip more than hers :). My question is this...after looking at other model 66s I have noticed that the cylinders are all the same size and everything looks the exact same as the 357 magnum models and the 38 models. Is it fair to say a man could have the cylinder reamed out and make this 38 a 357?

2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

No, you can shoot a 38 in a .357 but you cant shoot a .357 in a .38 because the overall length is longer. you need a .357 wheel.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Casey,

Since this gun is built at the performance center for the 38 S&W Cal. I sure would not alter this particular revolver. Someone would probably like to have it as it is. So what I am thinking is advertise it and sell it for a good price since it retails for around $900.00 and if you want a Model 66 in 357 Mag I am sure you can find a good one for a fair price. Otherwise I would just select from some of the 38 +P+ rounds for defense. Nothing wrong with them since the vast improvements in the 38 rounds.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No..........................

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

"Convert" a 66 to 357? Maybe. The normal caliber for a mdl 66 IS 357 Magnum----so I
    have to ask, why did the custom shop make it in 38? The model 67 is a 38 special
    stainless K frame. Were they just building a 38 on the 66 frame to get the heavier barrel/underlug?
    Anyhoo---if they built the 38 mdl 66 with the 357 length cylinder, then you might give them a call
    and see if they will ream it out. No idea WHY you would do that to a custom shop gun when
    any run of the mill 66 would get you there--but it's your money. If they built the 38 mdl 66
    with the mdl 67 38 length cylinder, then NO.

6. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I feel like an idiot. Was just looking over the 38 and its a model 60-15. Seriously, I feel very special right now. I have no idea where I got 66 at...

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the clarification! I was scratching a hole in my scalp trying to figure this one out!!!:D

8. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I was scratching a home in my head trying to figure out your all's comments about a model 66 being a357 mag and mine being a38 :)

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i read through it and i was getting very confused!:p

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The 60 and the 66 were made by the tens of thousands. The 60 being a J-frame and the 66 is a K-frame. The 60 was a staple snub nose for years until S&W made it into something it was never meant to be. They added adjustable sights and longer barrel making a monstrosity (IMHO). The basic fixed sight 2" M-60 is a great gun.

11. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

This model 60 has a 3 inch barrel, adjustable sights and is a tack driver. It is a beautifully made gun and shoots wonderfully.

12. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

But I have tim the tool man Taylor syndrome... MORE POWER!!! :)

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

At least you know what you want! I wish I had the budget to buy 2 a month instead of 2 a Year,..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk