Sw 15-22

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by raveneap, Apr 2, 2010.

1. raveneap

raveneap New Member

How about the baby brother to all those big black rifles? :) Most fun I've ever had with a .22 rifle.
    [​IMG]

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

I'm itching for one too. I've heard some horror stories from the early batch that was sold but nothing more after the Oct. 09 bunch. A lot of ftf, and fte's. What brand and grain ammo you using?

3. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Haven't had much chance to really wring it out yet, but put a hundred rounds downrange on its first outing without a hiccup. Used Federal and Winchester bulk from Wally world. This thing is really fun to shoot. I tried it slow fire, medium, and then as fast as I could pull the trigger. Not a hitch. Gotta' love it. :) One caution - follow magazine loading instructions in the manual. That will save u a lot of headaches.

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

Thanks. I heard from others that the Winchester 36 gr. was the best to use, and that the Remington had a lot of the problems in the earlier versions of the 15-22. I saw last week Buds Gun Shop had them advertised at $369 shipped.

5. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

I've been REAL happy with mine too. The first 200 rds were Mini-mags then I switched to Federal #750's bulk pak. 1,200 rds without a hiccup. Pretty darn accurate, great 100yd plinker.:)

[​IMG]

6. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I was using the Winchester 333 bulk as I couldn't find Federal one time. I never use Remington. Bought a new Ruger Mark III a year or so ago. Immediately had a bunch of FTFs out of the box. Called Ruger and they immediately said "You're using Remington Golden." I agreed that I was and they said that the Mark III didn't like them. Since then I've read many posts along those lines so what I've got left of the Remington goes in my .22 revolvers. I find that, for general plinking, the Federal is good. $369 is a good price for the 15-22. Especially as it includes shipping. Only thing to factor in is the cost for a FFL shop to receive it for you and that shouldn't be much more than 15-25 bucks..

7. Car54

Car54 New Member

I have a FFL here by my house I've used before, 25 bucks for transfer and phone check (mandatory).

8. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Thats a good price - I'd suggest ordering it soon before the price at Bud's goes up. It already has in most places. And the phone check I think is mandatory everywhere.

9. JoeFromSidney

JoeFromSidney New Member

S&w 15-22

I was all set to buy one, then I read a couple of letters in GUN TESTS reporting cartridge cases blowing up and in one case damaging the gun. Anyone had that experience?

10. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I read a lot of stuff about them when they first came out but you can read many posts now about folks who have put thousands or rounds through them with no problems. I don't doubt that there were problems early on but what I've read are fail to fires/fail to ejects. And that was mostly with the early ones. I think that it took off a lot faster than SW expected and they were caught short and hurried production at first. Just my opinion. But they've taken care of any problems quickly from what I read. SW has probably one of the best customer service outfits around - again, my opinion. I wouldn't worry about getting a 15-22.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I've had my 15-22 since the end of January. It's one of the 2nd generation with the flash suppressor. ;) Just get a kick out of putting that on a .22.

I've found it doesn't care for Federal all that much. Does like CCI, and Winchester. Haven't had a problem with Remington, but it was all Vipers (pretty hot).

You have to pay attention to loading the magazines. It's easy to mis-stack the rounds which will call cause failures to feed.

It is just too much fun to shoot.

12. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Had mine out again - several hundred rounds - 2 FTEs which I believe were the magazine, not the rifle. All Federal bulk and went fine. Strange how some guns like one brand, others another.

13. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

I just recieved my 15-22 pistol, haven't fired it yet....:D

Attached Files:

14. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Well, I really liked that 15-22 - but, so did my son, his wife and 9 year old daughter. So, last week I surprised him and gave it to him for his birthday.

Of course, I had to buy another one as its' replacement. :)

[​IMG]