Svt-40

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by davemccarthy707, Jun 28, 2012.

1. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

Here is my 41 Tula SVT-40 I picked up for 299 ;) . Any idea how to lighten the trigger? I have polished all the contact points and have got it considerably smoother, but it is still heavy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Where did you find one for $299?

3. davemccarthy707

I am in Canada. We are literally flooded with them. I think the U.S. has a ban on them for some reason.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i never thought i would be jealous of a canadian gun law!! lol awesome score.

the cheapest one ive seen here was 1000$ and beat to hell.

5. davemccarthy707

Here I am trying it out. My backstop is soft gravel even though there are rocks to my left.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z1SLpKGZyQ&feature=plcp[/ame]

6. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

I've wanted one of these for a long time, but not for the prices they have in the U.S.

7. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

My dream gun..... Always wanted one but the only place I could see them was on the TV screen. :(

8. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I thought I scored big when I got mine at $400 a few years back but $299... Very nice. Mines a sniper version.. Any chance you northern folks have good deals on scope mounts and scopes ?????

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Be careful playing with making the trigger too light. The recoil can make shooting it uncontrollable, when it starts double or tripple tapping. Mine is reasonably heavy, but if the gas system is not properly adjusted it is easy to get unintentional bump firing.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I want one so bad...
    It almost seems like a whole hearted attempt at making a semi auto mosin, especially with that beautiful stock.
    The X54r is an awesome round. In a solid semi auto platform? Orgasmic. I like those better than any dragunov pattern/style. But of course, I'd take one of those too...

12. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

I want one too for the same reason. It sure would look nice next to my Mosins, and would be compatible with those boxes of x54r surplus to boot. I keep checking the classifieds for someone desperate enough (or stupid enough) to sell one in my price range.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Really?? A SVT over a Dragunov?? :eek: Id rather have the Dragunov!!

(Would love to have all the Russian x54 guns.. Including the 1895.. ;) )

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hey, I like the dragunov, I just think the SVT40 is a sexier gun...

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Yep, it's sexier, meaner looking, and just plain awesome. Also, nothing says business like 10 rds of 7.62x54R. :D

I will get one some day. Just not anytime soon unless the price goes down.

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Dang. Now I want one. That looks fun

17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

In the begining, the Soviets milled all of the SVT-40s for the scope mount rails, but not all of those became snipers. In the later production years, they had accepted the fact that the SVT-40 was just not accurate enough to serve the needs of snipers, and they dropped the rail slots.

Mine is a 1941 with the rail slots, but it doesn't have the addtional "cut-out" on the receiver necessary for the mount, so it was not intended to be a sniper.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Contact Vic at Gunboards.

20. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

What "cut out" are you refering to?? The only mounts I've ever seen for the SVT's was for the receiver cover.. :confused: I must disagree with you concerning the accuracy issues.. The adjustable gas system of this rifle can make it extremely accurate. Most, if not all, of the issues surrounding the SVT's had to do with reliability.. not accuracy as far as a semi automatic rifle is concerned. The AK took care of filling that nitch later on..

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012