Svt 40

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Jagermeister, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I was looking at the Mosin-Nagants from the site I ordered my Saiga from. Here is an alternative Russian rifle I do not know about. Anybody have an experience with the SVT 40? The self loading rifles have been refurbished to like new condition, and run with original SVT 40 parts. Includes a belt, ammo pouch, oiler and tool. Cal. 7l.62 x 54R. It costs 400 dollars.

http://www.waffenschumacher.com/shop_177_sl-buechsen_.htm

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

They are ok in typical recreation hunting but prone to feed issues in extreme conditions of cold dirt etc kinda the soviet version of the m14. Around for a bit but not a great design that does have it's following. Quickly supplanted by the sks and ak47 some Russian units kept the mosin over the svt cuz of it's issues until the sks and ak became available.

They run about 1000 here in the states and those are beat to hell typically.

As for the round, it's a great caliber. The surplus is about the same as 308 the new manufacture about the same as high end 30-06. Winchester whitebox 180grn soft points curing at about 2700fps out of my 91/30 pu sniper

I think the 91/30 is a better rifle but thats my opinion

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Thank you Jon. The Izhmash Mosin-Nagant runs about 100 less from the dealer. Both guns are not expensive at all. I know there is a cult following on the Mosins. hmmm.....might be interested myself. I am definitely interested in the round.

I do own an SKS, but it is at my father's house in the States. Want to get it shipped over here.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i wouldnt ship any gun out of the states unless your planning on never coming back to the usa. you can get em out for hunting trips and such but moving back tot he states its damn near impossible.

there is a good reason why people like mosins. they just work damn well and its an effective round for hunting. anything thats been a fighting tool for 122 years has to be doing something right.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Kaido was just harassing us with ads from MarStar (Canada) with TWO of the SVT 40s for $279.

The 91/30s can still be found here in the states for around $100 from a wholesaler. But the SVT is a very high $$$$ item.

6. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Seeing the prices on the German arms website (given my basic knowledge of reading and speaking German and a rough estimate of converting Euros to USD) made me a little sad (a P1/P38 for roughly $170), then going to MarStar and seeing a SKS and 1,440 rounds of ammo for $360 made me even more sad. But then remembering the 5 round cap in Canada, and the registration and strict regulations in both countries kinda compensated for the price difference.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Only as a collector's item. For practical purposes, the well-kept Mosin rifles are better values in the same caliber. I have not fired an SVT, so can't judge it first hand. It has a reputation of good built quality (the Finns and later the Germans reissued the captured SVT's) It was however phased out by the Red Army as a sniper rifle, in favor of the obsolete M30/91.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Given the SVT40's reliability and breakdown issues, I was

happy when the VEPR semi-auto became available

in the same caliber.

It's a cool milsurp, tho.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The M-1 Garand was way ahead of its time. The Russians tried to answer w/the SVT. The Germans with the G-41 and G-43. The Swedes with the Ljungman AG-42. The Belgians with the FN-49. None got it "right" save the Garand.

This does not detract from the cool factor. I would love to have one (or more) of each of the above. I would rather have an SVT than a Mosin-Nagant, even if it is not as reliable.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Reliability trumps cool factor, IMO. The SVT40 is a higher dollar value, collector-

wise, but if I needed to go into the woods for a couple weeks, I wouldn't

be likely to bring a SVT40. OTOH, an M44 would be a prime selection.

11. boredintr

boredintr New Member

Had a svt 40 nice shooting gun a bit long and a pain to clean must be cleaned real well after using corrosive ammo or i rusts fast used a turkey baster to run hot water down the barrel to get the salts out and hoppies 9 followed with a light oil would i recomend them to a friend yes i would

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

Didn't these used to sell for cheap here? I think I recall hearing about them as low cost surplus weapons when I was a kid.

13. boredintr

boredintr New Member

Svt 300 $ in canada sks 299$ ammo is a bit hard to find for svt 40 right now sports store ha 30 svts and no ammo to sell for them hand loading is difficult because of scalloped chamber which reshapes the brass

Boredintr on Firearms Talk