Survival Knife Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by kilo7, Mar 8, 2012.

1. kilo7

kilo7 New Member

Recommendations for a solid survival knife? Preferably fixed blade, non-serrated. There seem to be a number of tacticool "survival" knives, but I was hoping to find something legit. Thanks!

2. md1911

md1911 New Member

Imho any knife that is made well and from high carbon steel. With a full tang. Is good.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

...Ka-bar...There are some great knife threads on ths site too...That is all...:cool:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Well, depending on what exactly you consider a "survival" knife, and what your other requirements are (length, shealth, ect)....

Aww hell, it really depends on what you like. Ka-Bars are great, but I wouldn't call them "survival" knives (as a combat knife or a fighting knife, unmatched).

There are a multitude of websites you can go on to get survival knives. Just look and find the one that you like.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Here ya go: Best survival tool on the market....

Attached Files:

6. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Well, Swiss Army knives are pretty neat. Best?

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

This would be my pick
    Primalconnection.com

Attached Files:

8. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

That knife means business, nice. Did it start it's life as a high carbon steel rail road spike?

play the victim, be the victim

9. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Go to Budk.com they have a LOT of knives there and low cost.

10. spack762

spack762 New Member

Coldsteel.com or where i got my 10$ knife.
    Ragweedforge.com
    Its hard to pick a good knife with out handling it. Handle lots befor you buy.

11. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

im a fan of Buck Knives and Case Knives Fixed Blade real sharp good for skinin their 6 in long blade o i could kill someone if i had to with it to

12. bkt

bkt New Member

What he said.

13. Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey New Member

A good carbon steel Bowie. =)

14. TacticalPrecision

TacticalPrecision New Member

depends what you plan on using it for honestly. If you plan on it being multi-fuction like for numerous mid-sized knife functions aswell as say..batoning you'll want to go with something quality..which usually means expensive. Ontario Knives makes an RTAK II(which I love), there are also numerous options from Cold Steel, I think it's the Lawman? any of the larger 10"ish bladed versions are good for these kind of uses.

IF - You are planning to carry a hatchet or axe with you...you don't really need something quite so large, a medium sized knife will do you just fine, pick one with the recommendations people here have given you. I'm testing a Bear Grylls one atm, it's..ok for the price I suppose, the Parang was a gigantic disappoint and their marketing it as such was a joke..it's a machete not a true parang, I made one from some stainless steel and it's 10000 times as durable and can be used for batoning though does require a bit more sharpening to keep a decent edge on it as opposed to a high carbon blade.

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Ontario Knife Company Ranger series: decent knives (if you sand the grip corners of the micarta grips particulalry if u have large hands) at a very decent price -- this R-9 (almost a light hatchet) is in my BOB.

On my belt? U have an AR that'll take a bayo!? Coincidently also made by Ontario, the Marine Corp's OKC S3 "Kabar" Bayonet (or their Tanto US Army Special Bayonet) or the new standard US military M-10 "Bowie" bayonet which are actually basic knife steel (making the latter more than a stainless pry bar).

Do not eschew a semi-serrated blade -- if u use knives you'd appreciate how incredibly effefctive they are.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  16. bkt

bkt New Member

New York State forced me to grind the bayonet lug down on my upper, so that's out. :mad:

Serrations can be extremely useful for quickly cutting through tough stuff. They're just more difficult to sharpen, particularly out in the field without the proper tools, than a straight edge.

17. kilo7

kilo7 New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll be carrying a good hatchet, so I'm thinking of a 5 or 6 inch blade. So far I'm liking a Ka-Bar Becker or maybe one of the Ka-Bar combat models.
    What do you guys think about Gerber?

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a "fighter" knife from Ontario, its a good knife.

8325_sp6_fighting_knife_medium_.jpg

19. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I have an Ontario M9 bayonet. Its beefy enough to punch through a car door and the wire cutter is handy. It also fits on my rilfe....for when I run out of ammo, I can stab the zombies inna face from a safe distance:D

20. spack762

spack762 New Member

Love Gerber. Carried Gerber till i found ColdSteel;-)