Survival/Defense...if only one rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CHLChris, Apr 3, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Here's what I want: .22LR hunting rifle for small game, a larger .30-06 hunting rifle for deer, a .223 AR-15 for home defense, a 7.62mm for country defense.

But, I really only want one rifle for now. I want to be ready for SHTF. I want something that could bag small game without exploding them in half, but big enough to give a good chance of bagging larger game. I also want something with a magazine so I could use if for defense against zombies or tyrannical governments (not a single shot bolt-action). It also needs to use ammo that is a little less expensive, easier to obtain, and easy to reload if I learn how.

I know, I really should have different tools for each need, but what should I buy right now? Please!!

2. Rumpelhardt

Rumpelhardt New Member

I have been giving this some thought and my conclusion is that a bolt action rifle with a barrel in the 20 inch range chambered in a heavy pistol round would be about right. This would point to a Ruger 77-44 though I don't know much about that particular rifle.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

SHTF, Small Game, Deer..... Get the .223 like this:

DPMS Panther Bull Twenty 223, 20 Inch, A3 Upper, Bull Barrel, Fluted barrel, Vented handguard

[​IMG]

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I have to go with dunerunner on this one....one rifle for everything, 223.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Yep .223 might be it

I've been doing more reading on this since putting up the thread.

How about the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in .223 and get a high-capacity magazine? You get the small size of .22 for smaller game, but the high speed/energy of the .223.

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Spend a little more IMHO, and get the DPMS or equivilant AR.

7. james_black

james_black New Member

Got to agree with my fellow patriots...go with an ar15 platform.
    1. Great for self defense, shtf, goverment dethronement, etc. 223
    2. You can purchase a 22lr conversion and shot it from the same gun by changing bolt and mag.
    3. If u want long distance u can buy an 50 cal upper for it.
    4. You can even buy a 410 upper for it this days.
    All using the same platform.
    Just buy the upper and ammo of choice.

1 rifle=multiple options. :)

8. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I'll have to go along with the .223 for the reasons stated above.

9. Rumpelhardt

Rumpelhardt New Member

Ok a few qualifying questions.
    #1 Are we in shtf survival mode or shtf rid the country of bad guys mode?
    #2 What is the reason for being limited to just one weapon.
    #3 Urban or wilderness?
    The answers to these questions would influence the choice a lot I would think.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Only one weapon because I want to be ready right now! I can get more weapons in the near to far future, but I want one TODAY that can do everything (sort of), just in case the SHTF this week.

Always be ready.

I am in a city, but near the wilderness.

I want to be ready for societal collapse AND "You don't get to take my country over!" sorta thing.

11. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

i would vote for the ar platform with two different uppers. however, for calibers i would go with .22lr, and 7.62x51 nato, not .223.

.22lr for survival mode (killing small meal sized game)

.7.62x51 for big game and gunfights. it is a nato military round so in a war time scenario it would be accessible and it has more range and power than the .223 and since you live in oregon a .223 might not be enough gun for mule deer, elk, or black bears, which are pretty common out here...

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

From your signature line it appears you already have a 9mm handgun and a 12 gauge shotgun. Two ways of approaching this;
    1. A 9mm carbine. Marlin, AR-15, Keltec come to mind. That way you have ammo interchageability with your sidearm.

2. a Sport Utility Rifle (SUR) in .223/5.56mm. IMHO the AR platform is the way to go. They cost more than the Mini-14's but are worth it (in my experience).

With an AR you can cover both by getting an AR in .223/5.56mm and a 9mm conversion.

13. paperairplane

paperairplane New Member

Think outside the box a bit more, and I think the answer to your criteria is a 12ga shotgun. No single rifle is going to offer the same flexibility.

The 223 is a great option if you are leaning towards HD / zombie hunting, but is minimal caliber for deer sized game and way overkill for squirrels / rabbits.

A 12ga can handle everything from the dove to the black bear. Plus it is truly king of the living room when it comes to short range HD applications. Slugs allow accurate hits out to 100yds.

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

True, but the 5.56X45 AR can be used for turkey, pheasant, ducks, geese, deer, rabbit, squirrel, and other rodent game. We are talking head shots here. It is accurate beyond 200 yards with a good shooter behind it and good glass on it. Even with open sights I'd take the AR over a 12Ga. in the OP's described scenario.

Think about being in a firefight with a 12Ga, against a shooter with an AR-15................

They will sit out of range and eventually, pick you off.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would agree with Robo, but I would add in a $200 .22LR drop in conversion which will allow you to shoot your .223/5.56 upper with cheap and effective .22LR ammo.

Well, that is one way to look at it, but for North American deer you can handload hotter rounds ballistic hollow points that would be effective, if not perfect, for a SHTF scavenger rifle.

Also, with the AR platform you can pull two pins, and possibly your bolt and carrier, snap on a different upper ( like Cane's pet the .458, Magnum P*I*G ) and have yourself a hard, HARD hitting rifle.

One minute and a couple of pin changes later, you are back shooting .223 or .22LR

JD

16. paperairplane

paperairplane New Member

I am just putting some alternate viewpoints out there. Everyone has to check their AO and make decisions based on likely scenarios and needs.

Sure, 12ga vs 223 at 200 yards is not going to be a great day if you have the shotgun. Then again, set up the same scenario at 600 yds - you keep your 223 and I'll bring my 308 bolt gun.

My advice for a beginner armory always follows this order, with adjustments made for price range and specific needs: Handgun, Shotgun, 22 Rifle. Then 30 caliber bolt rifle. Then semi-auto carbine. Once you have those five, you know what else you need.

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

This sounds like solid advice. I'm good on your first two on the list. Now the .22lr rifle with scope, right. I just know that I might only be "allowed" one more weapon for the time being so I want it to be multi-functional. The patience around my home for a new weapon purchases ended after my PM9. This health care marxism fiasco has given me a window of opportunity.

I don't think the 9mm Keltec carbine or its buddies would do the trick. You don't seem to get any extra ballistic power from the longer barrel and I've already got handguns crossed off the list.

The 2-upper (.22lr and 7.62) AR platform sounds good, but pushing into the $1200-1500 range for a solid lower, 2 uppers, and all the goodies like optics and such, if not more.

18. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I'd go with a decent 6.8 Special type round. I've heard its a decent round for both hunting and can take down a good sized deer if you hand load for it or get the good type of ammo and its just as accurate as a 5.56x45 NATO.
    Of course, I'd say get it in a AR-15 configuration just so you could get different uppers and not spend a fortune on a whole 'nother rifle.

19. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Hmmmmmm! Wonder if I could hit paper at 600 yards with a good AR with a 20" bull barrel???

By God! I'm gonna build one and find out!!

20. keitho

keitho New Member

old fashioned

I like the 222 ---it is easy to buy--not expensive--don't look like a beast--easy to reload --I know everyone is in love w/223 but your talking bigger bucks.you can pick up a Savage 222 for half the money ---maybe 1/3 the money---before every one jumps me I know you cannot get big clips but if you practice you only need one shot =one kill