Survival basics

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Chase127, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

While everyone seems to be focusing on water and gas lets jot ignore one of the most important pieces of survival gear ever invented.THE FISHING POLE face it you won't ast long without foodand any idiot can catch a fish with a little patience.

2. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

That's a good point, but I have something even more basic for you.

Get in shape.

Too many OFWG's out there. I've been focusing on getting in shape since late last year and finally starting to hit my stride again. I've never quite hit the "O" or "F" part but my mile time has sucked for the last 10 years.

3. mcb

mcb New Member

I agree 100% on fitness being important.

4. capto56

capto56 New Member

That's what cracks me up when watching doomsday preppers. They spend thousands upon hundreds of thousands yet they are overweight and couldn't run away from a potential bg if their lives depended on it.

And I agree that a fishing pole would be a good addition to a bob too. Just gotta find a small breakable one to fit.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I have to ask...

OFWG? Old Fat White Guy?

6. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Nailed it.

3 out of 4 of those you can't do anything about, at least not without surgery :rolleyes:.

However, being in shape should be the #1 priority of preppers. All else doesn't matter if you get winded walking to the refrigerator. (Not accusing anyone here, but if you saw some of the people I did at the last gun show I attended....)

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I ran with a ruck today, loaded with sand. I've always been a grappler, my weight fluctuates between 180-250, and I'm pretty explosive, but endurance runs I SUCK AT!!! Something I've been meaning to work on...

8. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

I'm not running from any bad guys. I'm gonna light them up with my firearm.

eldar

9. BigB

BigB New Member

All great ideas, but if you carry paracord the inner strands can be used for fishing line! Much lighter and takes up less more valuable space.

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Another idea is to gain the knowledge to make dams, stupefying agents, containment areas to trap fish. These can be made on the spot and don't need any gear, really, except for a knife.

Also, hooks and line can suffice, do what we do down south. Tie the line to overhanging tree branches, or found plastic bottles...

11. BigB

BigB New Member

Saw Bear Grylls do this with rocks. Once the fish was trapped, he stunned it with a rock, and voila dinner. As far as tree branches and the like, that's what I was thinking.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  12. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I like that idea a lot. Though don't they make fairly cheap, small, and collapsible fishing rods these days?

13. BigB

BigB New Member

I'm sure they do, but you could just use a stick.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've also seen Bear Grylls drink piss. Just sayin. Don't wanna try everything seen on TV :D

Besides, piss is a waste product for a reason. It serves little more than to make you feel not quite as thirsty, actually doing little for, or actually harming, a body's hydration situation.

15. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Rather than a fishing pole, keep different size hooks and line with you. A sapling can be quickly hacked up and used as a fishing pole. Extremely small hooks will be needed for very small fish in most small creeks. You can also just put a piece of any type of meat (including a worm) on a hook or the end of a stick and place it under the water beside a crack in a rock. More often than not a crayfish will crawl out and latch on. You can then slowly pick him up and drop him in a bucket. It doesn't take long to get enough for a meal or to go with your fish. :)

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have hooks, line and a few sinkers. I think there are even a few flies in mine. I would use either a simple hand line or use a stick. I fished with a bamboo pole as a kid.

17. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Cant change the F part either because food is so good :)

18. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

As someone else suggested why not get an Altiods can and put some string hooks and weights in it find the stick for te pole as you go itl save room

19. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

How cute...you Greenwood boys have crawdads.... Charleston has blue crabs. :p