Survey

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by EdwardH, Sep 24, 2010.

1. EdwardH

EdwardH New Member

I'm wondering how many of you out there keep a round chambered in your handguns at home? Yea or Nay? Just curious.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

3. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Locked and loaded, I don't know about you guys but my boomsticks don't work without a cartridge in the chamber. Maybe mine are faulty.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if it aint ready to go there is no point in taking it out of the safe. always one in the chamber.

5. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

always, after all "All guns are loaded."

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yes, I always keep one in the chamber. It isn't any good if it isn't ready to fire.

7. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Loaded I keep mine always ready. "Stop Mr Bad Guy while I load my gun."

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

A weapon that does not have a round in the chamber is not loaded. And an unloaded weapon can cause a lot of problems. Just understand that if something comes up and you need that weapon you will have much less time than you might think to deal with it. In a high stress situation you have a lot going on in your body as well as whatever is going on around you. Your weapon will serve you best if it is ready to do the job it was obtained for. And that also mean that you should be well trained in it's operation and safety. The weapon is an extension of yourself after all.

I have talked to a lot of "Israeli" carry people and most often it seems that they believe that they have plenty of time to rack a slide. This is not usually the case. I also have noticed that many of these people do not practice a lot. The hole idea of the "Israeli carry" come about from arming private citizens that did not have much if any training with the weapon they where supplied with. The easiest way to render a firearm safe is to not have it loaded. Then load the weapon when it is needed to be called upon. Well, that was the idea anyway. But imagine encountering an armed person that wishes to cause you harm. You bring your weapon into the picture and you are already at a disadvantage. I've seen tons of those youtube videos where they show you how to rack a slide all kinds of cool ways and it looks great. But there is no way to do that and not use time that you are giving someone that is the reason that you are bringing your weapon up because of. IK don't think anyone can bring up a weapon, rack the slide and obtain a sight picture faster than the speed of a bullet that is probably only moving about 10 yards. Outside of Hollywierd anyway.

Do yourself a great service. Learn your weapon to the point that you can use it without looking for it. Understand how to upholster it, bring it up to target, and fire to where you want that round to go. Muscle memory is very important, especially when you have no time to think and your heart is pounding in your ears. There is no safety better than training. And really the only think the unloaded chamber allows is for you to have access to a weapon that is not ready to do the job that you bought it for. If you can talk to someonethat has had to use their weapon to save their life or someone else's. Ask them just how much time it took for the entire situation to happen. I really do not know how anyone can have an unchambered weapon with them after stories like that.

Always be ready..And hope and pray you never have to rely on that training....

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

L & L is the only way to go. Plus I have more than one. (With no kids, it makes it easier to keep them available in different places)

She got mad at me when a little gun oil seeped into the wood of her grandfather's clock.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's funny because it wasn't me.....this time :eek:

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, my firearms are loaded.

My fire extinguishers are filled, as is the first aid kit, and the smoke detectors have batteries.

None of those things that you may need in an emergency work without those, y'know.

12. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I only keep one loaded. The rest I keep unloaded and have the ammo stored seperately. My apartment is small and my doors are locked and I'm confident enough in my ability to fight my way to the gun if it comes down to it.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Condition 1 is the only way to go about life.

COCKED LOCKED and READY TO EFFING ROCK

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't quite have the confidence in handling my gun yet to store it loaded. But I do have it in a quick open Gun Vault next to my bed with the ammo in there, too. I also have a speed loader but I need to practice with it more. I am just getting comfortable with my gun and will soon be to a point to store it loaded. Even thought the trigger pull is pretty heavy, I'm afraid when I pull it out of the Gun Vault I'll accidentally fire it. I just need to get comfortable with it.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Condition One only.

16. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Would you let your kid go hungry?

17. propex

propex New Member

Yes loaded, and more then one

18. RairWeatherSmok

RairWeatherSmok New Member

Same here, have several in different places, all XD variations with chamber indicator, cocked indicator, no safety other than grip and trigger, so pick it up and shoot !!

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

In my house, I am not more than 15 steps from a condition one handgun which I will use to get to my shotgun.

20. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hell Poly Yeas!! :cool:

(Translation: Indeed, many!!)