surgery tomorrow, prk

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by countryboy, Nov 15, 2011.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

I'm having PRK tomorrow morning, I've bought plenty of groceries (the easy kind I can make in the dark... Literally), anyone know of any good ideas to get done tonight that I might not have thought of?

*background* I live alone with my dog and get to enjoy this experience without anyone's help.

EXPENDABLE

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Is that the pellet for the prostate? If so take it easy like the doctor says. If you push yourself even slightly you will extend the recovery manyfold.

Hope you have some good movies ready!

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't know what PRK is. I remember this from my hernia repair though, make sure you have plenty of clean clothes, especially pajamas or other lounge wear. Even comfy clothes are only comfortable for so long until they get too smelly. Do you have someone to walk the dog? And plenty of dog food stocked up? I don't know how long the recovery period for this procedure either.

4. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Prk is laser surgery to correct vision. So I won't be able to see for a while. The dog is a concern, but one I'll have to take care of. I don't have anyone to really ask to help.

EXPENDABLE

5. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

My mother at 84 had it done on each eye a month apart.
    Quickly done and over with. You'll just need someone to
    pick you up and do things for you for a while. Then ... bingo!
    :)

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I thought they did that one eye at a time so you were not blind during recovery? Well, make sure everything is in its place before you go in.

By the way, is the dog gonna drive you home? :eek::D

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wow. Vikingdad is thinking of the wrong end!! :) Yeah, you wanna have clean clothes. I assume that if you can't see, then you won't be going anywhere, you don't wanna get too rank, it's not healthy either. And the dog won't appreciate it, he can smell better than you.

It'd be nice for you if your out in the country and can just turn the dog loose outside for an hour or so at a time. When I had my hernia repair, I recuperated at my mom's house. Her dog was a great comfort to me. Everywhere I went, he was right next to me, laid his head in my lap everytime I sat down, and my parents had to just give up and let him sleep in the guest room with me. It was even more meaningful to me because my wife had suddenly decided she wanted a divorce (We've worked things out since then though)

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

The dog will be okay just being leashed out back to potty for a few days. I know many people who have had this surgery and the recovery seems to be pretty quick. But for the days you are recovering, I would live on sandwiches, cereal and maybe have a carry out place on speed dial. I think you'll be fine. Best of luck to you.

9. winds-of-change

Do you mean cataract surgery?

10. winds-of-change

Most Lasik Surgery places have a courtesy pick up and drop off service.

11. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think staying positive and in a good frame of mind is going to help a lot. Probably your dog is the best companion you could have. If you can turn him out for his business and he comes back reliably, that's a comfort. If not, maybe a 20 foot line on his collar would keep him close. Get things orderly around the house so you can walk around without stumbling over something. And FOLLOW the doctors orders! No Peeking! Good luck, countryboy. Let us know how it works out.

12. countryboy

countryboy New Member

I have a fenced backyard and doggy door for my dummy. I'm just worried about him getting bored with no one to play with.

The surgery is being done by the navy. So all at once and hurry up back to work. But they are providing a driver. Thank you. I've got the laundry, bathing, and easy to make food sorted out... I think.

Thank you for the well wishes. I'm just worried I've missed something.

EXPENDABLE

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sounds like you pretty much have it covered. Not to delve too much into your business, but I'd make sure my bills were payed up. Considering the military is doing the surgery, I'd make sure they're paid up as well in advance as possible.

14. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Update, if anyone's interested, it went quite well. If you have any questions about the procedure, feel free to ask.

EXPENDABLE

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Glad to here it went well. Many in my family have had lasik, its great. I know PRK is the older way but is still sometimes done under certain conditions.

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! How are you feeling and how are you seeing? Are the bandages off?

17. countryboy

countryboy New Member

They dont actually do any bandages for that one. Things are still blurry, but they're saying that will clear up as my eyes heal. I can see about 100 ft before things start to blur. Better than it was.

EXPENDABLE

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

How's the pooch doing?

19. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Glad to hear it went well! Are you having any problems with dry eye?

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Glad things went well. Follow doctor's orders and continue to heal up!