SureFire Muzzle Brake

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JonM, Feb 2, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

back in late september i bought a surefire FA762 suppressor and also order their muzzle brake for the suppressor quick attach. the muzzle brake FINALLY showed up after a long 4 month wait!!

i can finally ditch the thread protector and be one of those annoying people at the range :)

anyway it was a right pain to get it timed correctly since some of the shims werent the thickness surefire claimed they were. a few of em varied by as much as .012!! once i figured that out and had em measured and sorted it went together correctly with a little math.

now im just waiting for the tax stamp to take the suppressor home.

oh, forget the pics of it on the savage model 10 fcp-sr:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other accressories are a harris bipod and nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1 with 1/4 moa turrets and moa np-rf1 reticle

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Once again gun envy raises its head!

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That's one good lookin' stick Jon!

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks!! hopefully taking it out saturday to try the brake out. in the next 60 days my stamp should show up for the can. i cant wait.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Did you set up a trust?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ya. i use a trust since my wife needs access to the gun safe and the local cleo has been less than willing to sign for folks. im at 3 monthsish waiting on a letter for my m16a1 getting fed up with it and looking for a buyer at this point. in wisconsin need a letter for fullauto but not for sbs sbr cans or aow. its about as brandnew as you can get for an actual colt m16a1HBAR, pretty rare upper. next time i go over to btk firearms to get a gun xferred im gonna take pics and put it up for sale if i havent got the letter by then. if i stumble across someone looking for one ill sell it today heh

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Looks like it's all coming together for you.
    Damn fine rifle,Jon!

I've put all my suppressor purchases on the back burner right now.
    I've got to build me a bigger shop,I have run out of space for all my tools & toys.

8. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Good looking brake Jon, give us a range report when you get the supressor. Oh, and patient with that M16 ordeal, I had to wait 3 months just get permits for a 7.62 Saiga and a semi-auto shotgun :eek: I think it would be worth the wait even if it took you 6 months to get that approval.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i was testing the bolt this morning and its back to light primer strikes. its got a heavier firing pin spring and it was fine for a while.

no clue whats going on.

i think i need to send it to savage.

10. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Could there be something wrong with the tempering of the firing pin or the bolt itself? Thus resulting in deformation of the part and the firing pin sticking slightly as the spring obviously isn't the problem.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I like that Jon.

I'd like to do something similar w/ a 700 and the .300BLK but word on the street says 6 months on stamps.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

everything moves freely in the bolt body. from reading other problems its possible a headspace issue. i dont have go-nogo gauges for 308 to check. the only thing i can figure is it has a little too much headspace and the firingpin is pushing the cartridge a scootch forward.

the cases head space correct in my 308 case gauge. the rifle is chambered for 308. ive got a le wilson gage. so its correct

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  13. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Ok, doesn't sound like an easy home repair. Could this possibly be fixed by machining just a tiny bit from the chamber end of the barrel to correct the head space? Hope Savage can fix it for you.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

its an easy fix. savage model 10's are headspaced by screwing the barrel in and out then locking in place with a lock nut. im going to take it to gander mountain in kenosha i think they are an authorized savage repair. ill call em tomorrow to see if their smith has the proper tools. they have done stuff for me in the past i dont have the tools for. the wrench and action vise to do the job cost nearly a 1/4 of what i paid for the rifle. somwhere round 350$

cheaper to find a smith that can do it since im not going to be changing barrels a lot.

15. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Good to hear it's nothing major.

16. Txhillbilly

Jon,If you need them,I'll let you use my Action vise and barrel nut wrench.
    I could ship them Priority Mail with USPS,and it wouldn't cost much.

The tools don't cost that much too buy,I think I paid about 80 for the Action Vice, and 25 for the wrench.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

where did ya get em?? brownells lists them for 180 and 50.

for that price ill buy a set.

18. Txhillbilly

Midway USA-

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288765/wheeler-engineering-barrel-nut-wrench-savage-10-110

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710783/wheeler-engineering-action-wrench-2-remington-700-savage-110

Looks like they are out of the action wrench,but I'm sure you could find one somewhere else close to that price.

FYI-Jon,If you buy these and DIY,you'll need to loosen the action vise screws after you break the barrel nut loose.
    You won't be able to turn the barrel if you don't!

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks!!

im going to go that route if i cant find some help locally.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just got off the phone with savage. The tech was convinced i wasnt pulling the trigger properly causing the trigger safety to not be pressed. She couldnt get past that and totally disregarded the fact the sear was releasing the striker and hitting the primer too soft.

I did not get a good vibe from savage cs :(

Anyway i think im going to go the diy route and remove the barrel and re-headspace it.

First thing will just be ordering a set of go nogo gages. Confirm its either a headspace issue or not and go from there.

What cranks me off is i JUST put that damn brake on now im going to have to likely order new shims from surefire since the ones i have are covered in rocksett. *sigh*