Suppressors

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by austin92, Mar 12, 2020.

1. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I for one don't see why you would be a silencer for a .22, they aren't loud when fired to begin with. 9mm, 30 cal., yeah OK

and making a trust for a NFA, just doesn't make any sense. it use to make sense when CLEOs refused to sign the forms, but now all that is required is for you to inform them that you're going to own a NFA item.

now if you do a trust, everybody that you named in that trust, all have to have photos and fingerprinted...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

You evidently have never shot a suppressed 22. It doesn't get any better,and puts a big smile on everyone's face that gets to shoot them.

You also don't understand all the positive's that a Trust has over buying any NFA item as an Individual. I have 4 other people listed on one Trust,any of them can possess and use anything that is listed on that Trust without the person that actually bought the item being present. Since the Trust owns everything that is listed on it,if someone on the trust dies,the item is still legal for anyone on the Trust to use.

Since the new 41F law,yes,everyone that is listed on a Trust at the time a "New" item is purchased for the Trust,each person does have to have photo's and fingerprints.
    But,If you start a new Individual Trust,then only the person buying the NFA item has to do that. Once you receive your tax stamp,you can add all the people that you want onto the trust,and they don't have to furnish anything to the BATFE.
    I will be buying 2-3 more suppressor's and I'll start an Individual Trust for them. Once I get my tax stamp's,I'll then add everyone that is on my other Trust to the new Trust,and it is 100% legal to do it. I can add or delete anyone at anytime to a Trust,the BATFE has no say so in that matter,other than anyone that is listed on the Trust has to be legal to own and purchase a firearm.

austin92 likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess that I am fortunate financially, since I've never had any desire to have a suppressor.:D

4. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I have fired suppressed firearms, in .22, 9mm, while that puts a smile on some peoples faces, it doesn't do it for me. I like to have my firearm LOUD AND SPITTING FIRE BALLS, the louder, like breaking ear drums loud, the better :D with large fireballs, the larger the better. that is what puts a huge smile on my face:D

I took off the FH off my AR15 pistol and replace it with a AK74 style brake. it rocks the decibel level to something ungodly :D and the 3 fireballs coming off it, looks like something that came from hell :D

[​IMG]
    all good and valid points :)

towboater likes this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Different strokes for different folks!

locutus and towboater like this.
  6. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

He just likes posting things that are completely irrelevant.... Dreck, as others have pointed out

7. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

Get compatable muzzle devices for whatever rifle supressor you choose. I have had good luck with the Griffin Taper mount. Not sure what to do about the AKs though.

Might want to look into a form 1. Wait time is shorter. While the linked "solvent trap" is spendy it looks like it would be flexable and the fact it is user servicable and baffles can be easily replaced is a good thing.

https://www.jkarmament.com/products/jk-155r-mst-kit

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Austin,

A Suppressor on a 22 is a "Blast"
    A buddy of mine use to have a 22 Bolt Action Remington Rifle with a 22 Cal. Suppressor on it. As I stated we had more fun with that gun! I remember shooting Red Wing Black Birds about 100 yards out in his field. We would shoot and it sounded more like a pellet gun. And since it was so quiet the bullets would hit one of them and the others would look at the one shot like saying what the H happened to him! Or dust would fly when we missed and they would jump and continue on with what they were doing. Until they got hit!
    Absolutely a Blast!
    Since then I have only been familiar with the larger caliber suppressors being in the Weapon Industry for years and hunting in Texas.
    Kind of wish I had a Suppressor for my Marlin 17 HMR - V Model Rifle!

towboater likes this.
  9. fsted2a

fsted2a Well-Known Member

I have a form 1 .308 silencer I built from a 4cell D battery maglight and freeze plugs. I have a 2nd barrel end cap threaded for my .223 AR for when I shoot lower caliber rounds. It's James Bond quiet on .223 and .22LR, the only sound you hear is the bullet breaks the sound barrier. It's longer than most, but for about $150, including the baffle forming tool, I have a silencer that's as quiet as some costing 3 times as much. Just a suggestion.

primer1 likes this.
  10. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An employee was so excited to see and hear it for the first time I got to shoot on their indoor range for free with their ammo in exchange for him getting to shoot it too. Put 4 rounds through it with no ear protection, no pain or ringing, it was comparable to an unsuppressed 22lr even being in a small indoor range. Still not something I plan to do until I start hand loading subs for it. ATF cashed the check yesterday, pretty excited even though I know there’s still a good amount I’ll have to wait.

JTJ, Txhillbilly and Rifling82 like this.
  11. Txhillbilly

Congrats Austin.
    I recently E-filed 3 Form 1 suppressor builds, and I'm just waiting for the stamps to be emailed to me so I can build them.

JTJ and austin92 like this.