Suppressors

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by austin92, Mar 12, 2020.

1. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

Got the itch to ditch the muffs. Found silencershop’s unlimited one shot NFA trust for 130$ so I don’t have to cry over 200$ tax stamps. Anyone familiar with that program?

Calibers I own that are threaded or will be; 357sig, 40, 45, 22lr, 5.45x39, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 300blk, 12ga.

Ones I will probably add in the future; 5.56, 5.7, .308win, .260rem, 450BM.

Looking to suppress a couple ak’s so I’m leaning on the dead air wolverine. Figured it would work on my 300blk too if I ever get it done. Thinking about a salvo 12 just because it’s cool lol. For my pistols I’m pretty dead set on the osprey 45 to avoid changing any sights and it will suppress everything smaller, correct?

For 22lr I’m lost. There are SO MANY 22 suppressors! Do I get a lightweight 5.56 can for when I eventually build an upper for that cal. Or would the wolverine do well on a 5.56 so I could have a dedicated rimfire can? I have interest in the 5.7 caliber but don’t own one yet. Does a can rated for 5.7 weigh so much more that I wouldn’t like it on a 22 target pistol?

If money was no object I wouldn’t need to ask these questions but unfortunately I can’t afford a dozen cans. My work let’s me barrow small amounts out of my 401k and the gun shop I go to allows lay a way on in stock items. All that said, how few suppressors can one get away with to cover everything? What’s your opinions on the 3 I decided on? What do you have and what do you like/dislike about it?

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I have yet to see one good enough to not have any hearing protection. If I didn't use muffs I would at least want plugs to protect what little of hearing I have left.

Nmwabbit, locutus and towboater like this.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I seriously doubt there is a way around the tax stamp. The $130 is probably to form the trust.

Nmwabbit, Rifling82 and Biohazard2 like this.
  4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Sorry Austin,But you have to pay to play in the suppressor game.
    The $130 is for the Trust,you will still have to pay $200 to the BATFE for each suppressor you buy.
    It sounds like you are going to need 4 suppressor's.
    A Rimfire,a .30 caliber rifle, a .45 pistol,and one for shotgun's. You do not want to use a Centerfire suppressor on a Rimfire. Rimfire ammo is extremely dirty,and most Centerfire suppressor's are welded together and can't be cleaned very easily.

Most any quality Rimfire suppressor will work on 22lr,22wmr,17hmr,and 5.7 rounds,and the suppressor's all weigh about the same. You can't use a Rimfire suppressor on a Centerfire weapon. Most of the tubes are Aluminum,and the high pressure of a Centerfire round will destroy a Rimfire suppressor.
    Choosing any type of suppressor can be stressful,there are many choices. I'd stay with well known brands that have been in business a long time. There are some newer brands that offer some great cans,but one hiccup,and they can close their doors forever. Crux suppressor's is one of those companies,they got shut down after the BATFE found out they replaced several split tubes on damaged can's,they copied the original serial #'s instead of making their customer's have to wait for a new tax stamp for getting a new suppressor.

Nmwabbit, SRK97 and elfmdl like this.
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Austin
    A word of advise! BUY A 30 CAL. SUPPRESSOR! Normally they believe it or not, are quieter on the 5.56 than the one dedicated for the 5.56 round. So you can use it for every thing from 30 Cal. and smaller! As you know it obviously would not work for Calibers larger the 30 Cal. But as far as the $200.00 Fed. Stamp at the present get your Billfold out! As stated the $130 is for the Trust Only!;)

towboater likes this.
  6. austin92

Well the news on the tax stamp kinda killed my mood on this... They made it sound like the trust got you out of the 200$.

Do you guys think the wolverine with its generous baffle design will be sufficient for other calibers that don’t suffer from poor barrel threading like the ak’s do?

Are all rim fire cans pretty comparable or are there a select few regarded as better options?

towboater likes this.
  7. elfmdl

elfmdl Active Member

Rim fire cans very a little bit, I prefer ones that are monocore design. I think they are easier to clean then a baffle stack. But stick to a reputable company that’s been around a while. My favorite one that I own and have sold a lot of at work is the Silencerco Sparrow

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  8. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Please explain a lil more about them and why your favorite

9. elfmdl

elfmdl Active Member

With the sparrow there are 4 pieces. The tube, the monocore, and 2 clam shells. Makes it easier to take apart and clean. The ones that are a a baffle stack tend to be hard to take apart when dirty in my experience. And Silencerco are about the leaders in the market right now, they have been around a while and if you have any trouble they will take care of you

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  10. Txhillbilly

The Wolverine should work on anything .30 caliber or smaller like 223/5.56. Depending on their baffle design,it may not be as quiet as other's,but you never know.

My rimfire can is a Silencerco Spectre II,and I love it. Looking at Silencerco's site,it seems they don't offer it anymore. I prefer a separate baffle design over a monocore. If you do have a baffle strike,you can just replace a damaged baffle. With a monocore,you have to replace the entire core.

11. austin92

Ok, narrowed my rim fire choices down to the gem tech gm22 and the Q erector. Both are very lightweight, within 80$ of each other, and good dB readings. I really like the gm22 for its mono core, and 22mag rating. I like the erector because of its modularity, it can go super short (light) and still be effective, plus it’s unique. What would you choose, and does anyone own either of these?

https://www.gemtech.com/catalog/product/view/_ignore_category/1/id/372/s/gm-22/

https://www.liveqordie.com/products/erector-by-q/

12. Txhillbilly

I wouldn't choose either! I'm not sold on "Monocore" baffle systems,If you do have a baffle strike,you have to replace/buy a new core - pretty much about the price you paid for the suppressor.
    The modular style suppressor's are an answer to no question. All it does it make the report louder the shorter you configure the suppressor. Less air volume capacity = More sound coming out the end of it.

13. austin92

That’s the wonderful thing about a free market, my 2 favorites aren’t for you :)

Txhillbilly likes this.
  14. Txhillbilly

That's true,but you did ask which one I'd choose and it is neither. Buy which ever one you like the best,and enjoy it. It only has to please yourself,not me!

15. austin92

I was just messin with you. Don’t think there’s many suppressor guys on here...

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Someday I'll too be a suppressor guy. :p

17. crash11049

crash11049 Well-Known Member Supporter

No not many supppressor guys but a lot of guys that wish they could be suspressor guys.
    damn wish I could spell it right ...I cant have one lol

towboater likes this.
  18. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

19. austin92

Got your stimulus check yet? :)

20. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

remember how close we were to the Hearing Protection Act? we have to get to that point, and beyond, after November.