Suppressors for hunting" legislation in Oklahoma!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by IGETEVEN, Jan 10, 2010.

1. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Suppressors for hunting" legislation in Oklahoma!

Always nice to see "pro-can" legislation. Hopefully hunters will be able to use suppressors whilst hunting in Oklahoma soon! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"OH BOY!!!"

Jack

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Jack are you sure this is pro-gun and not some hippie anti-noise pollution movement?

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Suppressors were originally created for hunting so as not to scare other game away when taking a shot. I think we should all have at least one!!

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Who cares? The way I see it, if it passes, it's a win-win situation for both sides, but here in Oklahoma, we are very red and have very favorable gun laws. ;)

I see the obvious benefits for me personally, and to other hunters. It will not be a mandatory thing if passed, it will be just an option, if one chooses to utilize it.

Jack

5. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Jack I think you are right in OKs case, and I agree we should be able to use them. What worries me (I think like the "other" side) is that it could be made mandatory in other states. So guys that want to hunt with rifle/ pistol would have to request permission (tax stamp) and fork over the cost of a can just to hunt. Would take a lot of guys out of the mix. I may be off the mark, but it could happen. If they lifted the tax, no issue, but pricing us out of the shooting sport is an ongoing effort on the anti 2A's part.

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I see your point Hillbilly, and I would damn well hope that it would not come to be a mandatory law, anywhere. Here, I think the bill would be killed if that language was ever put in the bill and came to a vote. You would have not only a large population of hunters upset, but a large majority of voters who are gun owners, as well. I would think the ATF would have to make some cost changes to the tax stamp and make it much more affordable or change the requirements, if it indeed became mandatory elsewhere, because IMO, hunters, gun owners, pro-gun groups, Congressman and supporters would not stand for it, and especially the hunters!

I will closely watch this and keep ya'll updated on it's progress.

Jack

7. photopro

photopro New Member

Sound Moderators

As the article says we have them in Europe and here in the UK it is common place to request a firearm of a particular calibre and a sound moderator (NB not a silencer !!) at the same time. I think you have been a victim of your own success, that's film success as Joe Public thinks putting a "silencer" (as they would call it) on a gun reduces the noise to several Db less that a gnat's fart. Even though we know it isn't true Jimmy Cagney and co have been reinforcing this myth but hopefully it sounds like things are about to change.
    In the UK we never have issues raised relating to moderator abuse and in fact for low powered air weapons (less than 12ft/lbs) moderators can be purchased without a permit and by anyone.

photopro

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

As an avid hunter, class 3 owner, and pro 2A gun guy,

I feel suppressors have no valid purpose for use by a citizen hunting. As a hunter, I welcome hearing other hunters shots. Let's me know where they are, and when and where the animals might be moving.

They were using suppressed carbines to cull deer out of a city park up here In the metro. That's a valid use.

Other than that I don't see one.

9. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Here is the kind of divide that always hurts us gun owners. We individually think that what we personally own/ have is valid, but for "everybody else" we make the argument that "you dont need that, no one needs X or should have Y" or that only the authorities should use them. Cls III owner that doesn't want cans used for legal hunting purposes, I am sure there is a hunter out there who doesnt think anyone should own a machinegun. Pull together boys, pull together.

10. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Now, I never said I thought others shouldn't own what I do.

If you are legally capable of owning a gun, then you should be able to have class 3.

Silencers and full auto have no viable use in the hunting arena. You simply cannot dissuade me of this.

I do ask you to give me three good reasons to use either though.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Because we can? Or should be!

12. Duddn

Duddn New Member

:confused:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I'll be your huckleberry........

1). Nobody said a damn thing about full auto rifles, this is about suppressed hunting firearms and a suppressor is just another accessory piece you can add to a firearm. It only serves one function to suppresse the muzzle blast. They simply bring the sound level of a shot fired down from one that is highly ear damaging to one that is still very loud, but below levels that cause severer ear/hearing damage. Using a suppressed weapon helps protect a shooter's hearing.

2). As well as reducing the noise of the muzzle blast, the suppressor also hides any muzzle flash. Because the muzzle blast is contained, firing when in a prone position does not throw up any dust or debris, in case you need to be on spot to quickly make a second shot. It is also harder to hear where the shooter is, and also harder to see him. That would be very advantageous to you, pertaining to the type of game you may be hunting.

3). Suppressors also have a recoil reducing effect. This is partially due to gas pressure against the end cap, but also due to reduced velocity of the gas leaving the suppressor muzzle. Unlike a muzzle brake, the suppressor does not throw gases out to the side, to the detriment and discomfort of other hunters you may be close to. On certain firearms it has been noticed that the fitting of a suppressor reduces muzzle flip and climb when firing. For some firearms the use of a suppressor also improves accuracy, since the bullet emerging from the rifle or gun receives less buffering from turbulent gases.

These are just a few of the main reasons why I would personally benefit from using a suppressor while hunting. I see all pros and no cons, how about you?

Jack

14. Duddn

Duddn New Member

Looks like IGETEVEN just got even. I agree, the less animals you scare off means the more of them you can shoot, and where I usually hunt its not unusual to have a few or more hunters within one square mile.

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ok, now I know that I want some. Great post, Jack. :D

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You mean you had to think about it?

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I so wish suppressors would have been common place all along. I would not have the constant ringing in my ears that I do now. I am debating purchas of one here in the next year or two.

Not sure why you are so against people hunting with one. To me it is safer for all. Now hunting I don't have to wear ear plugs or muffs or both while hunting. Now I can hear others movements weather it be a person or an animal.

So please give me your reasons why it is bad to hunt with suppressors. Don't use i can hear shots to know where deer are moving. That is a load of effing BS a suppressor does nothing to quiet the sonic crack of the bullet so therefor you still hear it. I am so with jack on this one.

18. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

I wish someone would introduce similar legislation in Georgia, I'm ready.

19. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

I hunt hogs at least twice a week 12 months of the year here in OK. A suppressor on my AR sure would be nice. Now if OK would just let us kill hogs at night with the use of a light.