suppressor vs silencer

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by noproblems, Nov 21, 2011.

1. noproblems

noproblems New Member

whats the difference?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

No difference. Suppressor is the "correct" terminology. Silencer is kind of like the slang version of suppressor.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow! WoC has gotten all tech savy on us. She has been paying attention!!!!

4. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Psh, I call them mufflers:p that way the gubmint doesn't know what I'm talking about(ha, the stalkers) although I'm sure they'd know if the read my texts.
    I figure some folks call mufflers "silencers" so why not apply the inverse:)

5. winds-of-change

I must say I am kind of proud of myself. I'm learnin' from the best, right?

There are some benefits to asking a gazillion questions. And you all have been so patient and kind in answering each and every one. I thank you all.

I have changed the description of myself from "I am very new to guns" to just "I am new to guns". :D That's progress!

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Its also referred to as a "can"

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

LOL!!!

next time i take my truck in for service im gonna ask em to inspect the silencer on it to make sure its working properly!!!!

8. noproblems

noproblems New Member

Thank you for your responses these were my thoughts exactly

9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Lol. Poor mechanics.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While the PREFERRED term is suppressor, since no firearm is COMPLETELY silent, the term silencer is also used. For the purist, go to the National Firearms Act- the law that regulates them, and you will find the term "silencer".

11. Mufflers...

The doo-dad to quell the report of a firearm is very similar and was originally developed at the same time as the doo-dad to quell the noise of the internal combustion - automobile - engine.

What is known in the U. S. as a 'muffler' is called - at least used to be called - a 'silencer' in the U. K. and most of Europe. For some reason, the term 'silencer' caught on more than 'muffler' in the U. S. shooting community. In my memory, the term 'suppressor' is fairly recent, dating from the late 1970s or so.

Speaking of 'how quiet can it get?', I know of one manufacturer (if still in business) who makes a suppressor (what they call it) that quiets the report down to the decibel of the pistol operating. In other words, the slide moving back and forth makes as much noise as the report. And the brass landing on a concrete firing line makes more noise than either.

Just in the nature of connected trivia, the movies never make notice of a missed round from a silenced firearm. The stray round sounds like someone hitting the wall with a hammer when it strikes a wall. The sound of a 'silenced' round hitting a body is very similar in noise level to a watermelon dropped from four or five feet onto a hard floor.

12. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

So r silencers or "suppresors" legal or illegal ?

13. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Both. It depends on where you live, mostly, and if you jump through the hoops.

14. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Well I live in Texas and I don't know the laws on them here

15. Shade

Shade New Member

In Illinois they are illegal even with a Class III license... :rolleyes:

Ya ya I know Illinois...

16. winds-of-change

[​IMG]

Suppressor? Ha! We're still fighting for the right to carry our guns. First things first.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Shooter 88- If you are a resident of Texas, 21 years of age, and can legally own a gun, your can own a silencer. There are more silencers sold in Tx than any other state.

Ownership by private citizens is prohibited in the District of Columbia and the states od California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont.

A silencer, by Federal law is considered to be a firearm. Ownership must be transferred to you by a Dealer with a special license (commonly called a Class III license). You will need approval from your local Chief Law Enforcement officer, and pay a one time $200 tax on the transfer of the suppressor.

18. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well for that i think id just stick to my ten cent ear plugs. hehe

19. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Thanks I didn't know this and yes yes I'm 23 and I can legally own a handgun lucky for me I know the sheriff and the guys running for sheriff so when I come up with the extra money it shouldn't be hard to get