Suppressor Refinishing

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by okdonk, Nov 2, 2012.

1. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I'm so sad and angry at myself.
    Today at range after shooting my AR with the can. I didn't realised i touched it with my gloves. So left some gloves burnt marks on it, not much but i kinda annoyed looking those marks.
    Got home and tried getting rid of the marks by using CLP, Break Free and Hoppes#9.. no luck at all.
    Got impatient and angry, i grabbed the green scrubber. Scrubbed a bit.. and made it worse!!
    Forgotten it would cause tiny scratches.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anyone good at suppressor refinishing? I want those gloves burnt marks OFF from my can :(. I want it to looks as it was used to be.

Anyone can help me on this issue?
    Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Just run it , now it looks used :D

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

YHM charges $200 plus return shipping. Crazy!.
    But i found refinishing services for $45 including return shipping. They are http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/
    Still thinking about it.. maybe i'll just run it till ugly and refinish later.

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Please describe your gloves; from what kind of material are they made.

Perhaps a solvent that works on a 'vulcanized' or melted form of this material will work.
    While I offer assistance to your request, I agree with the 'leave it as it is' bunch.

For your own test, heat some scrap metal and repeat the event on the scraps. Utilize a series of solvents on the scrap to determine efficacy.

I usually try something along this line. alchohols (isopropyl, denatured), mineral spirits (paint thinner), lacquer thinner, acetone, zylol, tolene etc).

Spot test to ensure that the solvents don't further remove your exisitng finish.

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

My gloves was the cheap mechanic gloves from walmart. The grip material is kinda like suede thing. Not sure what is it called. Well even though if there's a solvent which works.. i did scrubbed a lil bit with the green scrubber.
    Yes maybe leave it as it is.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Try "Goof Off". I believe the chief ingredient is Naptha. It will take graffiti off nearly anything. Might be worth a shot.

Not "Goo Gone". That stuff is worthless orange based crap that does not take anything off.

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thank you. I'll check it out.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If you had been patient, you could have found a solvent that would have removed the burnt gloves without damaging the finish. Once you scratched the surface, it was all over.

Try Denatured alcohol, or PVC cleaner on the marks, but test the pvc cleaner on an out of the way spot first.

9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Impatient is my weakness.. :(

10. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Looks like a perfect excuse for some Duracoat shake-n-spray! Cheap, easy, and will last just fine on that can. Should be no problem getting the right color either.

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Exactly right!!

12. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Sorry about the can, I know exactly how you feel. I like to keep my things looking perfect as well.

Shake and spray duracoat works very well! For Duracoat or Cerakote get the high temp versions or it may discolor after some use (not so much with darker colors though).

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Just received my can back today. UPS left it on my front door. As i live close from work so i quickly rushed to home during work. I fear it might get lost or something, it's a suppressor with 6 months wait, hell no i ever want it got lost or stolen.
    I sent it to johnnorrellarms.com for refinishing. John used Moly Resin coating for his work. He quoted me for $45 including return shipping with insurance. I sent it to him on 11/10 by Priority Mail with insurance of $800, so shipping to him costed me $17ish.
    All i can say is WOW.. he did a damn good job. My can looks much better than it was brand new. I was hesitating what color to be painted and John chose "Semi Gloss Black". I'm glad he chose the color on my behalf.
    I can't see the old burnt glove marks and scratches neither discoloration from the old paint. It really looks sick and shiny as it's semi gloss.
    I highly recommend his professional service and most importantly decent price. This costed me $62 including both way shippings included insurances. Next i'll use his service to refinish my AR15 stripped lowers. Much cheaper than YHM quoted me for $200 for the can refinishing.
    Sorry for the not so clear pics as i took them with my phone. I just couldn't wait to share my happiness. Lol

Attached Files:

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

My gotos for such things are acetone and denatured alcohol. Dont mix em btw. Acetone is harsher and will strip some paints i mainly use it as a degreaser for cleaning screws and screw holes so locktite will stick better. Just for future reference.

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

What about Hoppes #9 & Break Free? I use them all the time and never a single problems. Just wondering if they are safe on this Moly Resin. I'll email John today too.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

prolly fine to use. breakfree wont harm any finish

17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Yes John just replied my email. He has yet to find any chemicals which are unsafe to it.

18. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

Get a "TAB suppressor anti-mirage shield"
    copied from website
    protects you, your can, and your equipment. Designed to prevent mirage from obscuring your site picture after multiple shots. Eliminating mirage is accomplished by the use of insulating materials - your can heats up, but the SAS stays cool. The outer shell of the the TAB SAS will not heat up so your equipment and person will not become damaged with accidental or intentional contact. Removal and handling of your can, while inside the TAB SAS, immediately after firing is possible due to the high quality insulating materials used in the construction.