Firearms Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For adding a suppressor, I am assuming the barrel is threaded on the outside. I make this assumption based on the fact that I have seen thread protectors that by design have to go on the outside.

So say I have a pistol, want to add one, do the paperwork dance, all is approved.

Do I need to find a barrel that extends past the end of the slide? How does that portion of the process work?

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of the following would be in accordance with Federal Laws and Regulations, of course.

Could one buy two identical pistols, with non-fixed barrels, one with a 4" barrel, and one with a 5", thread the 5", switch that barrel to the 4" pistol for supressor use, then switchit back to the 5" when done?

a) is that legal?

b) would firing the now threaded 5" barrel in the 5"gun without the supressor damage the threads, since the barrel is not fixed?

Don't really have a project in mind just yet, a supressed 1911 would be sweet, though sighting, I imagine is out the window with a can on the end.

Just curious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.