Suppressed bull barrel

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Nathancwitdat10milli, Jan 11, 2012.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you go through all the legalities, sure.

2. Nathancwitdat10milli

Nathancwitdat10milli New Member

How could u do it. There's no flash suppressor to attach it to

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

You don't have to have a flash suppressor to attach it to. However, since your talking a bull barrel, you may have to get one custom made or modified to fit your gun. You would do that in conjunction with getting your barrel threaded, to make sure the threads and size fit.

There are legal hoops to jump through, but from my understanding they don't seem to be to bad. Much of it depends on your state too (I'm on my phone and the app doesn't show members locations for me).

I recommend talking to c3, he really knows his stuff and has given a lot of advice and shared his knowledge on this very thing.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Typically, the can would attached not to a flash suppressor, but screw onto a threaded barrel. You chuck barrel in a lathe, and cut the threads. Either get a suppressor that is sized to a bull barrel, or turn down the muzzle of the barrel to a standard sized can. It is not uncommon to find barrels like that that have a screw on thread protector used when can is not in place.

5. Nathancwitdat10milli

Here's my barrel. Where could I look for cans made for bulls?

Attached Files:

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

That barrel will have to be threaded. As it is, with a target crown, there's no way to attatch the can.

7. Nathancwitdat10milli

Where can I look for cans that will fit on a barrel that thick

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Start by talking with folks that make suppressors. Yankee Hill Machine may be ONE good start.

9. willfully armed

The thickness of the barrel means nothing at this point.

It will have to be threaded to 1/2"x28.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I think that is the part he is not getting. The barrel will have to be removed from the gun, chucked in a lathe, the muzzle turned down and threaded. You may be able to find a suppressor with the same finish and diameter so it will look like a LOONG bull barrel. Shouldn't call it a bull barrel then. INHO a bull barrel is very heavy and shorter than normal. A heavy barrel is heavy and as long or longer than normal.

A 24" heavy barrel on an AR is a heavy barrel not a bull barrel.

11. Nathancwitdat10milli

I understand I need the barrel threaded but I didn't know where to find a can that would fit around my barrel

12. willfully armed

ZOMG!

the can attatches to the threads on the end of the barrel. They do not fit around the barrel. Any can rated for 223 with 1/2"x28 threads will fit your gun.