Support your Independent Dealers

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Tackleberry1, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'm putting my point of view out there for consideration and feedback. I see much discussion about the great deals to be found on-line, or how much Big Box Store A undercuts the small local gun dealer and I must say, it worries me.

First off, I'm not a dealer, I manage commercial construction projects for a living, but I refuse to buy guns from any Big Box chain stores and gladly pay 5% more for the personal service I get at my local, INDEPENDENT, FFL dealer. In fact I'd be embarrased to ask him to handle the paperwork on an internet purchase unless it was something extremely rare that he could not order for me.

I certainly remember more frugal times and respect everyones right to find thier best deal but I'd ask you all to consider two events that opened my eyes.

Event 1. K Mart used to be the largest retailer of guns and ammo in the country but some hi profile mass shootings and a little nudge from our pal Rosie Odonell back in the 90's got America's largest gun dealer to stop selling guns or ammo! I've not spent a penny in a K Marty since and hope to see them die a corporate death.

Event 2. Oregon & Washington used to have a fantastic sporting goods/automotive chain called GI Joes. No one could beat Joes on Long gun pricing and despite technically being a Box, they had some fairly knowledgeable guys behind the gun counter. The current recession has taken them completely out of business. Stores shuttered, hundreds out of work.

My point here is that we can not count on anyone large enough to have shareholders or even large enough to get overextended financially. Publically traded companies can decide in an instant to stop selling any product based on nothing more than that day's political hot button, IE, K Mart and now Wal Mart in many locations.

Fed's are creating more BS daily for anyong trying to get thier FFL.

So...

Should we be supporting big corporations that can decide our business is no longer worth getting beaten up on "The View". Or should we be supporting the guy who lives in our town and supports his familly by giving us a place to meet, fondle our latest wish list gun, and would only close his doors if we managed to price him out of business?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Alot of on-line deals are infact small business in different areas.

My local gunshop is ripping people off. $459 for a Ruger LCR before taxes!! If you pay with a credit or debit card add 3%!! :mad:

That will end up being $459 +9.5% +3% out the door!! :mad:

I can get it online for $398 shipped or less. I'm all for supporting local businesses, just make sure they aren't raping you first.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

+1Gojubrian

One of the better online dealers you will hear about is Buds Gun Shop. It's just a little way up the road from me. It's a not too big shop owned by a great bunch of guys. They are as little odd though., I've seen some wild things get traded for guns in there. Including as palette of dog food :confused::eek::D

Most the sellers on gunbroker are private owned shops. The internet just makes the world smaller. As for the K Marts. Walmarts and the like, I don't shop them much. I dislike crowds.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I buy (or trade) the vast majority of my stuff at my LGS. I have used Bud's a few times for items I could not find locally. I agree that it's worth a little more to support your local dealer...

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I try to keep my money in local shops but I'm not going to throw money away in the process. If the price is close, I'll buy local but I'm like Goju. If I can find it considerably cheaper online, I'm buying it there. I work hard for my money and need to stretch it as far as I can.

Before moving I had a great local shop that would work with you. I got my SP101 from them for $475 out the door. Was it a screaming deal, no but it was more then fair. That was during the gun craze too when you couldn't find a decent pistol to save your life. I traded a bunch of stuff with them, bought/sold stuff and made some friends. I still stop by when I go thru there.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Agreed, I'm not saying bend over and take it. If you local dealer is trying to bone you, then absolutely take your business elsewhere.

I've shopped my local dealers prices online and have not seen a price that beat his. My last purchase 2 weeks ago was a Stainless Steel CZ75B 9mm NIB. He was asking 639.00 which beat anything I found online by 20.00.

I found this guy 10 years ago while shopping for a new Kimber. At that time the gun MSRP'd for 1100. I called 3 different dealer and was quoted 950, 940, and 840. Of course I bought the best deal and have since purchased 7 more handguns from the same dealer and his prices are still great.

Heck, I'd buy from him even it cost me a little more.

Gun $639
    NICS $15 "but we'll throw that in"
    Buying a gun from a guy who calls you by name when you walk in the door...

Priceless...

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

My Favorite Dealer

Like I said, I've bought 7 handguns and a shotgun from this guy in the last 10 years. Small shop, hole in the wall well off the main road, 1 man show.

Everyone remembers the half empty shelves in all of our gun stores shortly after the last "Historic Election".

I walked into my toy store during this time and was greeted by an 8.5x11 photo of our new POTUS with the label on the bottom of the frame reading,
    "Employee of the Month"!

The combination of the sold out guns and that picture had me laughing so damn hard I had to sit down...

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I know where you are coming from Tackleberry.

Some local businesses are worth supporting, some are not. :cool:

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Sure on line dealers are small businesses but unless your an FFL that on line deal ain't shipping direct to you, It's going to your local FFL who still has to charge you your 9.5 sales tax.:rolleyes: If you don't like the 3% visa pay cash. :rolleyes:So what your really talking about is taking up someones time to fondle the gun your thinking about, then buying it online to save $61.00?:confused: I guess I just really like my dealer because if $61.00 is a rip off for the ability to hold a gun before spending my money to buy it...Well bend me over!

10. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

That just refreshed my memory, I remember K-mart selling Guns. I haven't thought about that until I just read it.

I do buy my guns from local shop. My gun guy is coming out with his own line of AR's and I am waiting on him getting his ATF stuff finished up and my next AR, I am going to build off his new products. I will give you info when this happens.

I support local hometown businesses as much as possible.

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

here in astoria oregon there arent but 2 dealers who arent open when i am available for the most part. Hell i was happy when fred myers started selling guns again. I would love to give an independent dealer my buis. The other option is 40 miles away and the guys prices are a little up there.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Know Astoria well, nice town.

13. doctherock

doctherock New Member

where u at in washington? Just applied for my cwp up there. Way easier than Oregons

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I buy stocks and parts on line. I buy bullet bolds and rare dies one line. I buy brass, primers, powder, and small accessories at Jerry's Outdoor Sports. I buy guns at Jerry's Outdoor Sports and at "A Pawn Shop". "A Pawn Shop" is the actual name of a dealer in my town. I try to buy from Jerry's because they offer customer service that is second to none. My wife goes to Jerry's for my christmas shopping. They will help her hide purchases from me. They know me pretty well there. I always hear, "Hey Rick" when I walk in the door. When Tina goes there they tell her about what I have had my eye on. They will let her put stuff on layaway and make small payments. This way I don't notice large purchases. I am still surprised on christmas. One year she got me a Rock Chucker press, a really nice scale, a powder measure, a tumbler, a bunch of brass, 2 tubs of powder, and a set of dies. Do you think Sportsman's Warehouse could have pulled that off? No way! In fact they would not have tried.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Vancouver area.
    Yeah I've heard WA is easier but I got both OR & WA 12 years ago when I was an OR resident. Was a little worried about converting my OR CCW from Res to Non res because I was working in Mult. Co and had to use that Sherrif but it went through very smooth, just like a renew.

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I usually support the local guys. I have two places I look for decent new and used revolvers, one place I order specialty items and pick up older plinkers from (they also own the range I shoot at), and one other local place I get ammo from. I'll also get ammo from a larger retailer in town, but they aren't much of a giant either

Before buying anything I always look in my Bible or price guide to check values. I will also hit them up on going down from the sticker. I've seen what these guys give for guns and I'm not gonna pay more than double that. They usually will work something out, if they don't I'll decide to buy as is or walk away.

17. tekarra

tekarra New Member

I firmly believe in buying locally whenever possible. Having been in business years ago, I would become very annoyed when people bought out of town, then came canvassing local businesses to support their kids after school programmes. I do not buy from the the big W stores due to its business ethics. In my community, I shop locally and pay more tather than driving 15 or 20 minutes to shop a big box store. The local merchants support my community, but the big boxes support only high profile activities which is merely another way of advertising.

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

We got this store throughout Colorado. Believe they have about 5-6 locations, mostly Southern Colorado. You can get live chickens, fertilizer, coveralls, propane, dog food, a key made, an AR15 (or what ever else you can think of) and boxes of cheap/quality ammo. I think I'll continue to support them too. :)

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have about 6 local dealers that I frequent- one of them at least once a week. Need a hunting license? Local shop. Bottle of Hoppes? local shop. However, I also shop on line auctions. Just purchased a new handgun Friday from local shop. However, have another model, same make, that I am current high biddder on line- will find out today if I won. It is an unusual make/ model, and no local shop had one. I collect older Mossberg 22s- I am just not going to find a Mossberg 142 at a local shop- That will be an internet buy (Thank God for having an 03 C&R FL!) If the choice is local shop or WalMart- I would like for the local shop to still be in business when I need a screw for a scope mount, or a box of .220 Swift, or a few boxes of primers. They get my business.