Superperformance .243 ammo for whitetail?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by JTEX, Jul 27, 2012.

1. JTEX

JTEX New Member

Has anyone used Hornady's Superperformance 95 grain .243 for whitetail deer? I'm looking for a good accurate .243 bullet..

2. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

it is a great product

3. JTEX

JTEX New Member

Thanks for the feed back flatty! Have you used them on whitetail?

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I got my first deer with that round out of my grandpa's remington 700. 1 shot through the lungs at 80ish yards and he dropped. 140 pound spike. So ya its a good accurate round for whitetails.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

JTEX

I have also been thinking about packing along my Remington 700 ADL in 243 to Texas in November. I have used 308. 7mm Rem. Mag. and for varmints and pigs a 223/5.56. The last deer I shot was with a Hornady 308 150 gr. SST. The deer spun 180 degrees when hit and dropped dead in the same spot. But this year I want to use the 243 for deer or whatever.
    So I have been doing some research on the New Hornady 95 gr. SST.

The expansion in the tests looks very impressive. Velocity is excellent and the ft. lbs. are good compared to some of the normal calibers used on deer and similar game.
    An example that I was looking at was the 95gr. Hornady Superperformance compare to that of a 100 gr. 270 Winchester.

The 243 Hornady ft lbs of energy at 100 yards was a respectable 1484 Ft.Lbs.
    The 270 Winchester ft lbs of energy at 100 yards was 1898 Ft.Lbs.

And we all know that the 270 is an excellent deer caliber. And I think anything 200 yards and less the 95 grain Hornady would make a fine deer rifle. Of course shot placement is the most important factor when it comes to any wild game. Their will to live as you know is sometimes unbelievable and as a true sportsman and hunter I have the most respect for the animals we hunt and quick clean kills is my responsibility. With that said, If I ever have a caliber or bullet that will not achieve that with good placement on "my part" they will stay in the safe. But I believe this Hornady 243 a good round. Thanks guys for your experience with it!

6. Model70

Model70 New Member

I've never used the factory Superformance in my .243, but I have used the 95 grain SST bullets and they are awesome.

I know the factory ammo is HOT and shoots better on some guns than others.

image-134381554.jpg

Shot this group last winter with the 95 grain SST's with a Tikka T3 Lite .243

7. JTEX

JTEX New Member

This is all good news, I will be shooting my rem. 700. I've taken quite a few Texas deer with it but now im in north MO so the deer are twice the size, so now I really want a quality round. I shot a 200+ lb. buck 2 yrs ago with it but it completely blew the heart up. I cant remember what round I used then probably just a cheap Remington... I've done more work on my deer rifle this yr than ever so I'm really lookin forward to this yr. and sniper, that is impressive compared to the .270 round. Can't wait to put a couple Hornady's down range, I'll post some groups later this week maybe!

Attached Files:

8. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I have gotten this ammo to group well in two different guns.The 95 grain is enough for what you are trying to do. It will just depend on how it shoots in your gun.

9. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I have a friend that uses this in his 270. Great results! My son will be shooting this in his 243 this year. I will also be using in on my 308. I am glad to hear people have had good results with this.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I don't have a 243 but have used the older heavy mag loads from hornady with there sst bullets amd have been very impressed with it. Did not matter if a shot at 20 feet or 385 yards,the bullet worked very well.

11. powg

powg New Member

deer axe .243

hornadys are great ..but kinda $$$ the new winchester powermax hp red box .243 are very accurate and a sledge hammer on deer ...the bullet design is engineered for whitetails deep penetration ,expansion and hydraulic shock .

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The SST is available in both the Superperformance and the Custom options from Hornady. I shoot the Supers in my 280 and the Customs in my 308.

The SST is an excellent bullet as is Nosler's Accubond.

13. powg

powg New Member

I have a friend that just loved to rave about his 270 ..til he bought a 280 :D

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have one of each. :D Like em both. My .270 is a Ruger M77. My .280 is an H&R Handi Rifle.

15. powg

powg New Member

I.ve bought the compact handi-rifle in .243 for my children ,installed an adjustable ar stock ,4x weaver ....perfect, affordable,small child compatible shooter they can grow into . 1 trick to help forearm be a little more free-floating I took a small rubber tire off son's toy truck (had only 2 on it anyway)installed it around barrel /forearm stud like a rubber washer which gave me about an 1/8 between forearm and barrel ....tightened up 100 yrd groups to about 1.5 -2 moa ..if I lay off on the java monster coffee drink .:cool:

16. blind_ninja

blind_ninja New Member

Successful Whitetail Hunts

Well I shot 2 whitetails with the Hornady Superformance in my Savage Axis 243. Both deer were hit in the heart and lungs. The doe was at 146 yds and dropped in her tracks. The buck was at 215 yds and ran about 70 yds. It was a stroke of luck that we found him in heavy brush. There was absolutely no blood trail. Neither deer had exit wounds. The round is extremely accurate but at longer distances may not have the knockdown power or penetration to produce blood for tracking. I will still use it but not on long distances shots. For that I use the Savage 270 with Hornady Superformance.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You have to remember that the 243 is the bottom rung of deer rifles. You want the maximum velocity from your cartridges. But maximum expansion is not always such a good thing. If you have a bullet that achieves maximum expansion in soft tissue when you hit large bones the bullet is going to fragment and quite often it will fail to create an exit wound. Without an exit wound you will not have a dependable blood trail to find the deer. An exit wound also means the deer will bleed out faster.

The 100 gr Winchester super x has been getting the job done for many years. The Super X bullet stays together no matter what bones you hit but it will expand in soft tissue. I know 5gr doesn't sound like a lot but all of the full power 95 and 100 gr cartridges have about the same amount of energy. Personally I would rather give up the extra 75 ft lb of energy you get in the superperformance load for a bullet I know will pass through the deer that you get in the super X.

I got lucky and found a Hornady SST 300 gr shotgun slug I shot a doe that weighed about 140 lb. About half of the slug was gone. After passing through the deer the slug hit crosstie that was very soft. I doubt the crosstie destroyed the slug. I hit the doe right behind the shoulder. The slug exited right in front of her other shoulder. The doe was walking away when I shot her. The only bones the slug hit were ribs.

18. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Old thread...but what the heck. My father deer hunted with a Winchester 100 in .243 for years. Always used Winchester Super X Power Point 100gr ammo. Never lost a deer. I shot a few with that rifle and was amazed at how well the ammo performed and the cartridge itself. I bought a Savage Axis II XP in .243 this year...and a few boxes of the Super X. 8pt buck dropped in his tracks and my daughter's spike ran about ten drunken steps. The .243 Winchester is a fine cartridge to harvest whitetail. It's all about shot placement. I do agree that a larger caliber will leave a bigger hole and drain more blood, but I like my .243 just fine.

19. blind_ninja

blind_ninja New Member

The Savage Axis is a super accurate gun. Thankfully, they are fitting them with better triggers now. The one I have had the heaviest trigger imaginable-you checked the safety each time you went to shoot (not just me, either!). We replaced it with a Timney trigger, and it is so sweet! My other Savage is a 111 which comes with an Accutrigger.

So, John_Deer, are you saying that you have bullet pass through with the .243 100 gr. Super X? Not one of the deer we have shot with the .243 have had an exit wound. The rounds we used have been Rem Core-Lokt, Hornady American Whitetail, and Hornady Superformance.

20. SparkPlug

SparkPlug New Member

Hornady Superformance ammo is great for deer. the SST bullets stay together and have great penetration on deer sized game out to about 250-300 yards.