Super Redhawk vs. 629

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Welderman30, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Welderman30

Welderman30 New Member

Alright guys, i'm gonna be in the market for a large frame .44 magnum for deer hunting. I've narrowed my choice down to a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel or a S&W 629 with a 6 inch barrel. I know both are excellent choices, just looking for some feedback, good or bad.

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

With the criteria you're setting forward, I would buy the Ruger. Longer barrel and a marginally stouter firearm for probably a slightly cheaper price. You're going to want the longer barrel for potentially longer shots. The 629 does have the potential to be a heirloom firearm but the 29 already holds that place and I don't know if there are room for both.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

super red hawk all day long unless you stumble into a dw 44. 2 buddies have the SRH's they deer hunt with, both with 512 eotecs on them, both are solid 3" 100 yard revolvers and no one can doubt the strength on a ruger srh. Triggers do smooth with use . Plus if you handload there are longer loads you can make or buy that are longer than anything a s&w can even fit in a chamber. I have dw's. As a plus they sell for less and are set up for optics. For ether you may want to size up a cross chest holster set up.

4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

They are both well built and reliable. Comes down to how they feel in your hand.

Personally I prefer the S&W, with a Pachmayr grip. I've owned and shot So many K and N frames down through the years that they just come to hand and shoot where I want them to with out conscious thought. The muscle memory is locked in, and I don't shoot as well with anything else.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

I've shot both and own one...

All things being equal, you really can't go wrong with either choice...

If it's between those specific two, go with the longer bbl...:cool:

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I love my 629. But I also have a Super Black Hawk. My Ruger has a much longer barrel. That is the one I use for hunting. But if my S&W had a 6 or 7 inch barrel I would hunt with it. It is a really good gun.

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

why not an 8 and 3/8ths barrel? :D

[​IMG]

If you reload and think you will ever be in Grizzly country, get the Ruger with a 6 inch or shorter barrel. If you are just hunting Mule deer, etc any of your two choices are fine. I prefer the trigger and less bulk of Smiths over Rugers.

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Some people may not be able to handle 8+ inches........in a handgun.

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

So....bet you can handle the eight inches.:p

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Yet they have no problem with the shorter ones???

11. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

The weight of lugging one around? Idk I came in here to stir ****.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I had a older model 29 with the 8 and 3/8 barrel. I found that I shot it a lot less because it was not quite as handy and balanced as a good 6 inch or 4 inch version of the se pistol. It was great for target shooting with the extra sight radius, not so great for a walking around gun.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've owned both. They are pretty evenly matched in function. I presently own a Ruger and like it a lot.
    [​IMG]

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

These 2 aren't in the same category. It's a light heavyweight vs. a heavyweight. Apples to apples would be a long barreled Redhawk or GP100 vs 629. For less carry and more (target) shooting, weight is going to help to a point. A barrel longer than 6 will shift the balance away from your hand. A shorter barrel will deliver more flash and bang. Unless you got bear claws, that will make the most difference.

15. Welderman30

Welderman30 New Member

No GP100 in .44 mag. I want a SA/DA. That being said, these are my choices. I'm sure either can and will do what i'm wanting it to do. Both can be set up for a scope, or have fiber optic sights installed easily. Just hunting whitetail deer in NW Indiana.

16. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I see. Go with the Ruger. It is purpose built for hunting. Frame is cut for scope rings (and those probably included), front sight replacement takes 5 sec, and the gun is rated for hot 44s like no other. Also breaks down easily nto subassemblies, no side plate.

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

not even like a Freedom Arms? ;)

18. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If you can't handle the longer 8-3/8s barrel on a model 29, or 629, perhaps you shouldn't be shooting a 44-mag. The longer barrel decreases felt recoil. So, it actually makes them a bit more user friendly.

I saw quite a few people buy mdl 29s after Dirty Harry, that could never shoot them enough to actually get accurate with them due to the severe recoil.

19. lucznik

lucznik New Member

And right there is the crux of the problem. I have a 7.5" barreled Redhawk. I mounted a 2x Leupold M8 scope on it and it is a very accurate gun. I'm able to get it to print 1.75" groups at 25 yds. quite consistently. I killed two pronghorn antelope with it this year - each at a little over 100 yards.

That being said, I am thinking of selling this gun because I just don't enjoy shooting it. The recoil is ferocious compared to my .357 Magnum - even when the latter is loaded with super-hot handloads.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Forgot it. Like I forget Bentley when I go car shopping :D

But every one of them I saw was SA.