Super Blackhawk, if you don't own one...buy one!!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Dec 6, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I finally got to shoot my 44 mag Blackhawk yesteday and all I can say is wow. I couldn't believe how much lighter the felt recoil was over my 629 and how easy the thing was to shoot. Bullet weight didn't change the way the gun handled unlike the 629. I'm not bashing the S&W at all, I like it and it shoots well but the Blackhawk is hands down my new hunting pistol and while I may not be able to take game with it this year I will be working up a load for next years season.
    If you enjoy revolvers and have never shot one you really need to.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I know what you mean. I've got an older new model that I slicked up and it shoots GREAT. You might consider putting an oversize basepin in it as well as fitting an oversize cylinder latch and free spin pawl for it.

3. spittinfire

Thanks bear. I was wondering what I could do to smooth out the trigger and lighten it just slightly.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The best way to slick up the trigger is to LIGHTLY polish the contact surfaces and buy a Wolff spring kit for it. And DON'T make it rust!:D

5. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Ruger Blackhawk

years n years of enjoyment await you;)
    it is my hunting firearm of choice; with iron sights.:
    follow up when you can with pictures; and range report:)

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Pics kind sir....please and thank you.

7. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Spitty, you will enjoy the heck out of that Super Blackhawk! When I had mine, it was fun to shoot, unlike the Redhawk I recently traded away. When finances allow, I'm going to get a Blackhawk to replace the one I let go 8 years ago (hit a rough patch and had to sell it, which I have always regretted).

8. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Do I like the Super Blackhawk?

[​IMG]

You betch'um, Red Ryder!

Bob Wright

9. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Assortment:)

Bob Wright: Sir, a mighty fine assortment:) Thanks for sharing:) I'll one day have me a couple short ones like that. :)

10. amstutz

amstutz New Member

The phrase "unlike the Redhawk" caught my eye. I have a Super Redhawk and wonder what the difference is? Is one easier to shoot or what is the preference?

11. spittinfire

Blackhawk is a single action where your redhawk is double action. The pistol designs are different. Nothing wrong with a Redhawk though.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've had the4 Blackhawk in the old and new styles and loved them. Hard times made me part with them but I do want to replace them as soon as possible.

Got a 44 Redhawk now and it's an exceptional shooter. The Blackhawk is different though. I don't know if I can say better...Just..Different. But I think everyone should shoot a Blackhawk at least once. I know more than one hater that changed their mind after a range trip with me. :)

13. Missileman

Missileman New Member

My Bisley Blackhawk in .41 Magnum has the best trigger pull of any pistol I've ever shot--a great hunting gun and a classic design!

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I love shooting my Blackhawk.

And the .30 carbine chambering is a hoot!

But I only shoot designer ammo;

[​IMG]

15. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

For me, the Blackhawk had less felt recoil, because the shape of the grip allows the gun to rotate upwards, unlike the Redhawk which pushes straight back. Notice I said 'felt' recoil. A .44 mag is a .44 mag, but the design of the gun affects what your hand and wrist feel. Either one is a a quality built, supremely accurate hunting weapon.

16. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

Me too, I'm working my way down...;)

[​IMG]

Cane, LOL!!!:D

17. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

I love my Supers. When I was 10 I saved up all the money i could and my very first handgun was .44 Super Blackhawk. Years later I T.C.ed my car and had to sell several of my guns to buy a new one and that Super was one of the casualties. I've replaced it since. 100_0941.jpg