Super Blackhawk Front Sight Fell Off!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Aces Full, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Aces Full

Aces Full New Member

Hey everyone!

I've got a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk .44 mag. When shooting it today the front sight fell off. Fortunatly I found it about 15 yards behind me. It seems to have been soldered on originaly. Has anyone else had this problem. Can the sight be resoldered on? Would Ruger stand behind it and fix it? I'm not big on sending my pistol in the mail.

It's just a shame. I thought Ruger was a decent company. It truely is a very nice gun to shoot, even with the mag loads. I'm looking forward to being able to shoot it soon.

I appreciate your input!

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Contact Ruger for instructions. You cannot mail a handgun. You will need to use UPS or Fed Ex and send it next day. Ruger will fix it. If it was a defect they probably will not charge you a dime. If it was abused, they will probably charge you.

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

You experienced a freak occurance. Any gunsmith worth his salt can permenently install that front sight. It takes Ruger 3 months MINIMUM to get to your job (pistol). For less than the shipping would cost, a local shop can fix it in a day or so.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Call Ruger first. I believe they will fix it, and pay the shipping, and they have an agreement with FedEx so FedEx will pick it up at your door. Ruger is a very good company, and you should be thrilled if your screw up rate was as low as theirs.

5. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

Unless you don't mind waiting for a couple of months, take Mark's advice and see a local gunsmith first. If you're in no hurry and Ruger will do it free then, I would go that route. I own two Ruger wheel guns and have never had a problem, so you are nearly unique! Good luck though.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Like the other posters have stated, it's an easy fix either way you choose. In all my years of fooling with Ruger firearms, I've NEVER seen a front sight just fall off. You did indeed have a EXTREMELY rare occurrence to happen to you. That don't detract from Ruger quality at all as I've never even heard of it happening, and I've worked on a BUNCH of them.

If you've made any modifications you might want to opt to have a gunsmith repair your firearm because Ruger MAY swap out for all factory unmodified parts while it's being repaired. Ruger HATES to see their firearms permanently modified.

7. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

How TRUE! I sent in my Super Blackhawk Bisley for cylinder timing, They removed my Black Mycarta grips and put rosewood ones back on.

Ruger would really prefer we leave their pistols alone.