Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 44 Ruger that was in house fire some years back. Wood stocks burned off, and I don't know what other may have been done. Does anyone have experience with this situation? Is it wasted? Or could there be hope to resurrect this weapon?

·
Retired
13,651 Posts
If the fire burned the grips off, chances are the temper of the metal has changed.

I would not try it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not rusty, the finish wasn't really eaten off. Maybe I'll build a shadow box for it and hang it in the shop.

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
Best yet, call Ruger. You just never know.

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
Agree- i've heard of Ruger doing some really "crazy" things for customers :)
Hi point would probably replace it if it were one of theirs, quick, fast, and no questions asked... ;)

·
Supporting Member
12,620 Posts
Yes, due to the fire and it's effect on the temper of the metal it is definitely not a shooter. But as stated it would make a great piece for a Shadow Box Display. I would also make it non functional as far as firing so someday down the road an innocent person who does not know the history of the weapon might think it was shootable and have a catastrophic event! "BLOOOOOW UP!" Maybe fill the bore with lead for example or alter firing pin.
If you contact Ruger? I would be very interested in their advise concerning this issue. Please let us know if you do!

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Pretty fair chance it would be fine. Very easy to check. It contains many springs. Check the springs and see if they are still "springs". The springs would lose temper way before any heavy part. The only main part that could be bad would be the cylinder. I would say about 75% chance it would be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to assume it is toast - sorry, bad pun - and likely build a shadow box for it. But I'll also check the springs and contact Ruger, as suggested. If I shadow box it, I'll disable it. If nothing else, I can weave some stories for the grandkids about the gun in the shadow box.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The Ruger contact is a great idea. Call Alex Jones, who can call Ted Nugent, who will call the NRA contact for Ruger and I bet they give you a new gun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a suggestion, but wood burns easier than metal(takes a lot of heat for metal)might try asking a gunsmith and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Send it to Ruger. They will check it out, and if it is bad will send you a new one, no charge.
They have a great reputation for customer service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts