Super Blackhawk, 10 1/2" in house fire

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by nbwajdr, Mar 26, 2013.

1. nbwajdr

nbwajdr New Member

I have a 44 Ruger that was in house fire some years back. Wood stocks burned off, and I don't know what other may have been done. Does anyone have experience with this situation? Is it wasted? Or could there be hope to resurrect this weapon?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If the fire burned the grips off, chances are the temper of the metal has changed.

I would not try it.

3. AR10

AR10 New Member

Years back? Boat anchor. It is no doubt turned into a nonfunctioning mass of rust.

4. nbwajdr

nbwajdr New Member

It's not rusty, the finish wasn't really eaten off. Maybe I'll build a shadow box for it and hang it in the shop.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Agreed. It is likely a trigger actuated grenade now. Clean it up and hang it.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Best yet, call Ruger. You just never know.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree- i've heard of Ruger doing some really "crazy" things for customers :)

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hi point would probably replace it if it were one of theirs, quick, fast, and no questions asked... ;)

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes, due to the fire and it's effect on the temper of the metal it is definitely not a shooter. But as stated it would make a great piece for a Shadow Box Display. I would also make it non functional as far as firing so someday down the road an innocent person who does not know the history of the weapon might think it was shootable and have a catastrophic event! "BLOOOOOW UP!" Maybe fill the bore with lead for example or alter firing pin.
    If you contact Ruger? I would be very interested in their advise concerning this issue. Please let us know if you do!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Pretty fair chance it would be fine. Very easy to check. It contains many springs. Check the springs and see if they are still "springs". The springs would lose temper way before any heavy part. The only main part that could be bad would be the cylinder. I would say about 75% chance it would be fine.

11. nbwajdr

nbwajdr New Member

I'm going to assume it is toast - sorry, bad pun - and likely build a shadow box for it. But I'll also check the springs and contact Ruger, as suggested. If I shadow box it, I'll disable it. If nothing else, I can weave some stories for the grandkids about the gun in the shadow box.

12. AR10

AR10 New Member

The Ruger contact is a great idea. Call Alex Jones, who can call Ted Nugent, who will call the NRA contact for Ruger and I bet they give you a new gun.

13. SteveK

SteveK New Member

Just a suggestion, but wood burns easier than metal(takes a lot of heat for metal)might try asking a gunsmith and see what he thinks.

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Send it to Ruger. They will check it out, and if it is bad will send you a new one, no charge.
    They have a great reputation for customer service.