Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Premium Member
Looks like Nighthawk is the 1st gun out in the new caliber.
Man, are there enough calibers already? I'm not against innovation but what's different besides the size of the hole and case capacity? I admittedly haven't researched it and don't want to be a "debby downer", that isn't my point. I hope it is something great but I see no reason to spend more than I recently have on two CZ's which are great guns without the great prices. I wonder if he ever worked for Bill Wilson in Berryville, AR or is that some kind of coincidence? Nope, just looked it up and Bill Wilson trained some gunsmiths who left to make "custom pistols". All of my guns are custom. They're made for me, owned by me, and shot by me.... 馃榿

Registered
my Nighthawk Enforcer in .45acp is a very nice pistol but I never "scoff(ed) and doubt(ed) that any pistol could be worth that much money" (and I've paid more for a couple of other pistols and never scoffed and doubted about those either - but then I don't write for publication)

ho hum - a new caliber - last time I was interested in an "off" caliber it suddenly became unavailable (22tcm)

Premium Member
my Nighthawk Enforcer in .45acp is a very nice pistol but I never "scoff(ed) and doubt(ed) that any pistol could be worth that much money" (and I've paid more for a couple of other pistols and never scoffed and doubted about those either - but then I don't write for publication)

ho hum - a new caliber - last time I was interested in an "off" caliber it suddenly became unavailable (22tcm)
Some people like guns.....as in you and me. Some people like sewing machines....as in my wife.

"All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy".

Premium Member
S&W 637-2, M&P sheild 9mm
Pierre nailed it IMO. When .380 is a buck a round, this stuff will probably be $2 per trigger pull. To each their own.

Premium Member
Greater mag capacity. 9mm ballistics with less recoil and flash.
If the ammo supply for it were good, it might have a chance. As is, dont think so. Nice idea though.

Registered
To each his/her own. To me, this round is the answer to a question nobody asked.

Reactions: Southernguns

Registered
So it's a modern take on 7.62 tokarev? Or a magnum version of 32 ACP? Well it's interesting but it doesn't really capture my attention, maybe if the price of ammo gets comparable to 9mm & it becomes available in a gun i want.

Registered
Did we need yet another pistol caliber round?
The 40+ we have isn't enough?

Registered
I think having a solid round sitting between .380 and 9mm Parabellum is a great idea myself. For those that are looking for something more compact then 9mm and more punch then .380.

TFB TV did a good break down of it on paper and if it allows a CCW to hold as many or close to as many as a .380, but with more stopping power, then it might just be a game changer.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to buy a gun in that caliber.

Premium Member
Iraq Veteran 8888 has a video out on this I think. He is mostly entertainment. Try stocking up on ammo for this new caliber.

Registered
What I'm seeing so far is a 10% increase in velocity over the 9mm. A 20% increase in magazine capacity and a slight reduction in recoil. I haven't been able to find pressure specs yet but I'm interested in what the max potential of the round is. I doubt it'll get there but a round this size that can hit 1500 fps would be very attractive to me.

EDIT: Well I found some pressure specs and it doesn't look good to me. We're talking 50k psi; not much room there for velocity increase which kind of kills this rounds potential for me.

Registered
If you buy into this new cartridge look into getting an extra barrel in 9mm.
I have an M&P Compact in 357SIG. With a very limited availability and price $1.40 per training round a barrel in 9mm has paid for itself.
I was recently considering buying an North American Arms Guardian until I tried to find some .32 NAA or .25 NAA.

Registered
Did we need yet another pistol caliber round?
The 40+ we have isn't enough?
Honestly why stifle innovation? I mean today we have micro compacts with double stack magazines and 10+ rounds don't we? I guess we could have said we already have 8 rounds? Why do we need more?

If this round has less recoil, and allows more rounds in a micro compact while still performing as good or better than 9mm, I say go for it.

Registered
Before anyone begins belittling this new cartridge because of its smaller-diameter bullet, consider this: Tested in Clear Ballistics against a 124-grain 9mm Luger Gold Dot load, the 115-grain 30 Super Carry Gold Dot load penetrated slightly deeper and created a slightly larger crush cavity. Similar performance, less recoil, more capacity. This is exactly what those who carry a concealed handgun for personal protection have been wanting.
The 30 Super Carry could be considered a pistol version of the .327 Federal Magnum, in fact. Both use a similar diameter bullet; the .327 uses a 0.312-inch slug and the Supper Carry a 0.313-inch. Both are loaded to 45,000 psi, which is 28 percent more pressure than the 9mm Luger or the .357 Magnum are loaded to. The fast, lightweight bullet delivers good terminal performance, with less recoil, even with the higher pressures. And because the diameter of the case is 11 percent less than the 9mm, a 30 Super Carry magazine will hold up to 20 percent more ammo.

Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Font Metal

Registered
Shades of 357 Sig availability and price or worse, 32 NAA and 25 NAA into oblivion.

Registered
just looked online at 30 super carry ammo prices.....Federal is wanting about $ .70 per round - not really too bad in this day and age (of course there's none "in stock") - Federal Premium hst is about $1.85 per round

Registered
It provides a round for 9mm fans to use .45 fan arguments against, and new .30 fans to use 9mm fan arguments to promote.

Awesome new shift for old internet arguments. Popcorn sales should skyrocket.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts