Suomi Kit Guns

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Vikingdad, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am looking at a Suomi M31 kit that a buddy of mine turned me onto. Anybody have some experience with these kits?

2. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

My buddy Charlie tried to build up two of the kits I bought for him. Back when they cost $39 a piece.

Building a new reciever for these things requires a milling machine and a lathe, even with the "kit" recievers, magazine bodies and "trigger box flats" that Hellbox used to make. Extensive machining needed on bolt and trigger group also to make it semi auto. Fixed firing pin is milled out and the bolt body is step drilled to take an AR "floating" firing pin. Pretty much needs a whole new trigger group fabricated. You also need a 16" or longer barrel to be legal. All these parts add ~$300 in parts to the kit you started with. This is NOT counting the machine time!

Both kits ended up as non function wall hangers. Moral of the story, I can build a semi Uzi for a whole lot less time and money and end up with twice the gun... ;)

If your still interested I've got a drum mag and possibly some other parts still setting around. PM me and we'll work out a deal. I still have some files and blueprints on my laptop if your interested. I'll email you that info if you want it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I do have access to a machine shop to do all of that work. These kits are supposed to be complete. http://tnwfirearms.com/complete-guns/m31-homebuilders-kit.html The price is $349 for the kit or $485 for a complete gun. The kit is the only way I could get one in CA due to state laws (that is how I understand it anyhow).

In any event, if the planets line up in the right positions I might be obtaining a kit and building it up for a Podcast review.

4. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Very cool! I wish you luck on your build then. The plans I gleaned will be on the way to you as soon as I get near a truckstop with internet. Prob tomorrow or Monday.

You've got me interested now, I'd like to see one of these actually complete and firing! I'll pm you with pics of the parts I have when I get by the house.

First time I've seen this kit. Looks like the hardest subassemblys are already done. Maybe I'll have to try one myself after I finish building the Uzi I got myself for Christmas . This kit is definitely better shape than the two I bought before... ;)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

J&G by Us here has the "full" built M31 for $449, but that Kit sounds like a good deal. The 72 Rd. drum is also Legal here, and I have been considering one. I would want to "bulk" out the Mag housing with a Fore Grip of some type, so I wouldn't need to Hold It by the Magazine if i wanted a "2 Handed Grip" wonder what type of Sling would work with it...