Summer carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by BeyondTheBox, Jun 25, 2012.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Well the season is finally upon us and now I'm left with no carry options because none of shorts have deep enough pockets for even my LCP, which I gave to a buddy because it no longer is valid for me.

I will not carry anywhere else, have tried and would rather take chance of being shot than deal with the extreme discomforts. So what I've decided to do is get a derringer, as it's better to carry even a double shot low cal than it is to be without.

So I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for a 22mag or just get a 22lr. At the kind of range I'd be able to use such a mini I'm not so sure there'd be a difference, but I'm not too knowledgable on such things, thus I'm here.

Any help in decision would be greatly appreciated.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Sounds like you should have spent some more money on holster options. I wouldn't trust 2 shots of .22 to stop anything bigger than a fox. I would consider buying a knife instead.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I wear cargo shorts in the summer. My S&W Mdl 36 fits the pockets very well, in a soft holster.

The .22 Mag loses a LOT of velocity when fired from a 2 inch bbl. Different powder than the LR, really meant for longer bbl. And no, 22 LR or 22 Mag would not be my first choice.

4. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Look up the remora holsters, i did per canbrakes suggestion. I carried my full size 1911 gov yesterday iwb wearing cargo shorts. Comfortable easy to carry , and will be buying another remora.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Trust me, I'm with you guys on this, but my primary concern is comfort always. So far one answer is good. Thanks. Didn't think about barrel length being a factor. So 22lr it is.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Tried it. Love it in my pocket. Haha

I'm a fit guy, no padding to help. Now open carry would be fine, but I'm dead set against that.

7. naf84

naf84 New Member

Ever try a belly band? No comfort issues and you can conceal a medium framed handgun very easily in the 4:30 position. Even in basketball shorts.

Attached Files:

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Hey guys he can figure it out on his own.

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

A derringer? Lots of luck with that choice. As for holster choice I have several for both Ruger LCP and S&W 457. During summer I wear the Remora holster, as I do not wear belts with summer shorts.

10. vincent

vincent New Member

Sounds like your comfort is more important to you than your safety, if that's the case, why worry about carrying at all? :confused:

You'll be the most comfortable corpse at the morgue should something happen...

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I've tried belly, even one of those tshirts whit pocket built in. Nothing works for me. Thanks tho. I do appreciate you trying to be helpful tho, sincerely.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Me either and i wear them low hip so the added weight in pocket is fine being in front, but on waiste is not, pulls them off. I've even tried one of those technaclips.

I don't wear cargo, my clothes have only 2 front and 2 back in pants/shorts, nowhere else. The Remora was the closest thing, but

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

It is, but I fail to understand your lack of comprehension. Question already answered through rationale that even the simplest of minds could deduce. Also answered in my very first post. Also a very common sense and fundamental firearms teaching...

Any gun is better than none.

And yes everyone by pure definition is at their most comfortable in their lives when dead. Still a very stupid comment. Who's to say my double 22lr to the face wont do exactly what your 45 would, which is self defense. May very well kill. Again, you all seem to be implying your own BS here. I'm not asking what you want, I'm telling you what I do. The only question here was dif in cal.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  14. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a J Frame Smith & Wesson .38 that is small, light and in a Don Hume pocket holster just disappears in any shorts pocket I have. From soccer shorts with just a drawstring (cannot beat that comfort), to cargo shorts.

Good luck with your choice. A two shot derringer would not be my choice as I am too old and too slow to outrun anyone, but it is better then throwing rocks.

15. cvia

cvia New Member

I have a crossbreed holster for my .380 auto and love it. The derringer comes in other calibers.

16. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Have you tested your derringer? With 22LR the recoil is probably pretty small, but so is the grip. You might look into some of the micro semi-autos. A few of them are not much larger than a derringer, fit easily in a pocket holster and provide more, larger rounds. They're very flat, single stack, and might be about as comfortable as the derringer.

17. porkchops

porkchops New Member

the ONLY, and I mean ONLY, to end all holster for summer carry is the Remora. Comfort, affordable, and simple works the best. Any size gun but best with a .45 since anything eles is just silly.
    Go ahead and lock this thread.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You're in the PNW and have a problem with summer carry? Boo Hoo!

Take a hint from us who have a serious hot weather carry issue here in sub-tropical South Florida, buy a Remora for the carry piece of your choice and reintroduce yourself to comfortable CC.

A true hot weather holster that carries extremely well and does not require you to dance-with-the-devil to use it.

Remora Holsters

Call Jacqui 239-207-0602 and tell her canebrake said hi.

I'm a big Remora fan.

[​IMG]

The Ruger is appendix carried and the 1911's are kidney carried. The x2 mag pouch holds my xtra mag and my EDC knife.

All are No-Clip, Non-Slip Concealment Holsters, put 'em where you want.

It's the kindest thing I do to my guns. [​IMG]

19. jujutsuka

jujutsuka New Member

You need to get into some cargo shorts, for both comfort and carry convenience. I also practice martial arts and have recently begun reassessing my wardrobe choices because I felt I wasn't "good to go" in the condition I was walking out the door.

20. medic6882

medic6882 New Member

I'm a fanny pack man myself. It distributes the weight nice , easy access, comfortable.
    If you are going to go with the 22 shoot for the eye or ear canal and it will scramble the brain. They may survive but they won't have any quality of life life.