Summer carry

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Adw1989, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Adw1989

Adw1989 New Member

Im currently carrying a sig c3 1911 but am in the market for a good smaller summer time carry gun. Im thinking about a sig p238. What would you guys recommend to broaden my market? Price isn't that big of a concern either.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

colt new agent or colt defender. since you already carry a 1911 its no stretch to go smaller.

my new agent. you can see how small it is. still holds 7+1 in the short colt mag and uses any standard sized 1911 mag. so reliable it will cycle empty cases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Adw1989

Adw1989 New Member

Nice rig man. So on a scale from 1 to 10 how well does it hide? Im about 6'5" 165 lbs so concealing my 1911 is a chore in its own. Also what position do you carry it. I prefer iwb about 4 o'clock.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Coming in March: Springfield Armory's XDs45. That'd be my suggestion in 45acp, although I also like the Kahr CW45 and PM45.

Micro 9mm is another option. I think the Ruger LC9 offers a lot for the price. And again, Kahr has some good offerings.

I'm not a big 380acp fan myself. I'd just prefer the more formidable and affordable 9mm in a similar but slightly larger package.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

it looks like you got a pager under your shirt at worst. i carry in about the same place. the grip is verrrry slim on the new agent

here is the new agent compaired to my xdm 45 compact

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when i wear the finish down on the new agent im just gonna have it nitrited or something.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. Adw1989

Adw1989 New Member

Very nice. I am wanting to keep it 45 so this is a great option and I checked out the xds online and it's pretty sweet too. I image it would probably come down to the 2. What's an average price on the new agent?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Not sure i bought mine dirt cheap a couple years ago. Here in wisconsin ccw had passed both houses and while it looked a sure thing a lot of shops stocked up on small ccw guns. The idiot governor vetoed it. It got within 1 vote of override and it was a rino republican overroad it. Six months later i bought mine for 650$. Pretty much dealer cost.

Almost three years later scott walker gets ccw passed and you cant find a small gun in wisconsin at all.

Best bet check someonline dealers for best prices. Last one i saw in wisconsin was asking 950$ for a new agent. But i know its way better price in other states and online

8. kem1139

kem1139 New Member

I carry the Kimber Ultra Carry in a Crossbreed Holster and I love it! The Kimber conceals very well. It retails for $850 but you can catch them on sale for low to mid $700. For being small the Kimber is amazingly accurate I love it.

9. levelcross

levelcross New Member

JonM, nice rig. I like my Kimber Ultra CDP but I want something bigger for the cooler months, looking at the C3, Colt Commander and a few others.

The Ultra is a great shooter, it is showing some wear inside the frame from the recoil spring rod but has not been enough to worry me and has not gotten any worse after the first 200 rounds. It is super easy to conceal as would be the New Agent.

Don't rule out the wheel guns, several are excellent choices for more discrete carry or warmer weather.

10. Adw1989

Adw1989 New Member

Actually I have a wheel gun that I bought just for that but I can't seem to get it away from my wife! Lol she's pretty much taken it from me. Its a Taurus 327 fed mag snubby and she loves it.

11. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I know this ain't the Glock forum but,I don't really want to shoot anybody!
    If provoked to the point of live or die,I will smile while I pull the trigger and what I want is , 230 grn. .45 hollow point. The G 36 is what I carry.:D

12. Adw1989

Adw1989 New Member

I would highly recommend the c3. It eats every thing I feed it with zero failures, looks awesome and is ridiculously accurate.

13. Foozerman

Foozerman New Member

I carry a pps 40, or an emp 40 but for summer im going to buy the p238, hands down the nicest .380 out there. The end. Done.

14. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I am smitten by the C3, it is not if but when I get one LOL. It is good to hear that all of the comments on it are positive, it just feels so right in my hand.

I feel that the wife will get her Colt Commander first, after I get my daughter and future son in law a matching set and get them painted, she wants pink tiger stripes and he wants desert camo. You have got to love a family that shoots together, we have 3 generations at the range often.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

From an earlier post:

The Colt 21st Century Commander IS the next carry pistol I will own. Yes, I will be going back to .45 ACP and retiring the Browning. :eek:

It will be the first "new" gun that I have no intention of changing from the way it comes out of the box! It doesn't need a thing except ammo. (Well maybe some Tripp Research Cobra Mags....but that's it!)
    [​IMG]
    From Colt;

The 21st Century Commander is a Talo exclusive Series 70 Style commander designed by Wiley Clapp.

"Everything you need, nothing you don't."

Features
    • Series 70 Firing System
    • Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Frame
    • Original 1911 Small Safety Lock
    • Front and Rear Slide Serrations
    • Long Black Trigger
    • Flat Smith and Alexander checkered Mainspring Housing
    • Colt Beavertail Grip Safety
    • Novak Wide Notch Rear Sight
    • Novak Brass Bead Front Sight
    • Tactical Oval grips with fingerprint checkering
    • Pete Single 25 lpi checkered front strap
    • Special Serial Number

If $ is not an issue, take a look at NightHawk:

[​IMG]

T3

[​IMG]

Talon II Bobtail

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Sig 238 and a G36. Both have night sights. I have been drooling over a Kimber Ultra Carry with night sights $933 otd ($433 otd trade). My G36 has been 100% reliable with anything I have stuffed in it so it is hard for me to justify the Kimber. The G36 only weighs 27 oz loaded with 6+1 of 230 grn HP. The small 1911's weigh 25 oz empty. Where I live it pretty much has to be pocket carry. Cargo shorts and a DeSantis Super Fly. if you are not in AC all day. If I wear a loose shirt over a T, I could carry the G36 iwb and I might get by without the T or a very loose T if I used a shielded iwb holster like the Theise. If you are wide in the shoulders and narrow at the hips, you could get by with a shoulder rig and a loose shirt. The holster is going to be a big factor in what and how you can carry. The Sig 938 will be available shortly and is a slightly larger version of the 238 in 9mm.

17. Adw1989

Adw1989 New Member

Ill have to check out that sig. Thanks for the replies guys.