Summer Carry?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by N_Roque, Feb 1, 2012.

1. N_Roque

N_Roque New Member

It's probably too early in the year to ask but with a very mild winter i figured it would be sort-of relevant so does anyone carry a different gun in the summer than in the cooler months? Heat in summer months has to be the biggest factor so do you sacrifice capacity for comfort Or do you go with your tried and true firearm?

2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I have an M&P 40c that I carry a lot in the summer months. I carry it IWB and never have a problem hiding it with just a t-shirt. Colder times of the year I usually carry a full size Glock.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

My main carry gun is a springfield xdm compact in 45acp. Im not sure how im going to carry it in the summer as i dont have a good iwb holster for it. I will probably send my colt new agent off to be np3 coated. Ive also got a bersa thunder 380 for super discrete carry where even a bulge would be too much.

4. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

My main carry gun is my Bersa Thunder 9. I carry it IWB. On rare occasions, weather and clothing requirements make it difficult to carry a larger gun. Like when I walk across the street to the park to watch my son play ball and it's 100 degrees outside. In those cases I'll wear a pair of shorts and a t shirt, with my Kahr CM9 tucked in a pocket holster in my shorts. It's been suggested that I should carry the larger gun at all times, but I'm a big guy with a large tent. And it's hard for me to find a t-shirt that will cover a gun, without printing, unless I wear a circus tent.

5. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I carry a springfield 1911 right now but gonna buy a sig p238 when I get my taxes back. They're not cheap but I've shot em and they're well worth the money. And they're designed after the 1911 which is what I'm already used to

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I carry the same winter or summer, either 1911 or one of my Bersas. There is one exception. Here in east Texas, we'll have days when it's a little nippy for short sleeve shirt (my normal warm weather cover garment), but too warm for a jacket. So, I wear an untucked long sleeve shirt. It being a little closer fitting than my summer shirts, I need a thinner pistol so it doesn't print. Then, it's my Bersa .380 CC.

7. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I carry a kel-tec PF9 in the summer. A t-shirt hides it well enough. It does tend to be a love-it or hate-it pistol though, so try one out if you're considering it.

8. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I have the .380 CF, 9mm C9, .40 JCP, .45 JHP, and HP22. I like to take each one out from time to time, just so they don't ruminate too much. However, my main ccw piece is the HP22 because it is small, light, and easy to conceal. Plus, I can carry in a shoulder holster during cooler weather, and back pocket during warmer weather.

10. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Pocket carry a Sig 238 in hot weather. It is already 70 here in the afternoon.

12. rslayden

rslayden New Member

I live in Vegas, so I know something about summer heat. My primary all year is either a 3" or 5" 1911. I use a Royal Guard holster. I wear a tee shirt tucked in and an unbuttoned loose shirt over top for cover. The only difference is whether I roll up the sleeves. It gets hot sometimes, but I don't change what and where I carry if I can avoid it. Just how I do it...

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Same 9mm carried in the same place year round.

14. sjn1955

sjn1955 New Member

A great holster for your XDM 3.8 45 would be a Galco King Tuck. It hides the gun very well with no printing if you wear the right
    clothes. It is an IWB holster. Check it out if
    you get the chance. It is the best holster I have ever owned and I own quite a few. I use this same type of holster for my Glocks
    as well.

15. phburks

phburks New Member

I use one of those for my XD subcompact and I love it. Its very secure and keeps the gun very close to your body which helps keep it concealed better.

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

In summer I usually carry a Para Ordnance (Now Para USA) Warthog, model WHX1045R, a S.A. .45 with a 3"barrel, 10+1 capacity, OAL 6.5 ", height 4.5". It hides well in a strong-side belt holster under a loose-fitting shirt. Sometimes I carry a Taurus PT-940 the same way. It is 5" high, 7" OAL, 3 7/8" barrel. It is the overall height that is most important in concealing a handgun. The barrel can easily be covered by a long enough shirt or jacket, but a grip frame that is too long (high) will make the butt poke out and show under a shirt.

17. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I have a couple that I can use for general CCW (1911 Combat Commander, Beretta 9000), but for extreme concealment, I use my Taurus TCP with a pocket holster. Perfect for things like shorts or anytime where you are wearing less clothes. It pretty much comes in handy for whenever you don't want to or can't put something on your hip year round.

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I carry a Kahr P-380 in the hot summer months in an ankle holster and a Glock Model 27 40 Cal. in the cooler months in normal carry.
    The only reason for the 380 is, in my opinion it is best to have a weapon on you even though it is not the caliber of preference for CCW. Than to have the larger 40 cal in the truck when I might need it in an instant!

19. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I've been in that situation...not fun

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I've had an eye on the Beretta 9000, but I hesitate because of the open-top slide. Does it accumulate dirt or lint to any serious degree? Do you have to clean it often?