Suitable slugs for H&R Pardner Pump Protector?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Inyaface13, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Inyaface13

Inyaface13 New Member

I am still fairly new to shooting and about 2 years ago I picked up a H&R Pardner Pump Protector which is the Remington 870 clone..and I love this gun so much and it is so fun to shoot, but sadly I have only put a handful of buckshot and about 200 shells of game load through it. I have been wanting to fire a slug from this gun for the longest time, but due to my lack of gun knowledge I wasn't sure the right type of slug to use. The shotgun has a 18.5 inch smooth cylinder bore, but I don't know enough about slugs to just go firing them off..Where should I start looking for a solid slug that is suited for my shotgun?

2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

If you have a smooth barrel...you want a rifled slug...Then let-er-rip...disturb the peace...lol

3. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

And welcome to FTF.......

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Federal Tru Ball slugs usually shoot best from smooth bore shotguns. I have very good luck with Winchester Super X slugs.

5. Inyaface13

Inyaface13 New Member

Thank you very kindly! :) and thanks for the response & help! I had seen a few people say rifled slugs was for smooth barrels, but needed a last opinion before I gave it a whirl lol

I will more than likely pick up a box of these two first to give them a try. My friend gave me a few Winchester PDX1 Defender slugs and I think I may have gathered the courage through this post to try them as well. Thanks!

6. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

You will likely find that your gun shoots some particular brand better than others. The saboted slugs generally shoot better out of a dedicated slug barrel, though. Try whatever you can find, you're not going to hurt the gun.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The sabot slugs are meant for shotguns with rifled barrels. Rifled slugs are meant for smooth bores. The rifling on the slug will compress when going through a choke. With an 18.5" barrel you probably are cylinder bore/no choke.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Being a smooth-bore any of the Foster or Brenneke`s should work fine !................

9. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

first of all determine what purpose the slugs will be used for. then buy several brands and types to see how they group when shot. what works well in one shotgun may not be the best performer in yours. every gun is different and as unique as the people who own and shoot them.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Truball slugs are slightly over sized to perform well in cylinder choke barrels.

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

^^ This ^^. There is no "Magic Bullet" type solution as to what slugs will work in my gun and yours. Pick up several brands (2 boxes of each) of rifled slugs, and hit the firing line. My Mossberg 185-d likes 2.75 Remingtons, my 870 likes the 3 inch Winchesters, my 11-48 absolutely loves the older Federal 1 oz rifled in 2.75 in, and the Wife's M 500 will only shoot Winchester super-x 1 oz 2.75 inchers consistently. OTOH, my F.I.E. Sb-1 in .410 don't really care what you throw in it, 2.5 or 3 inch, any make, it is a tack driver at 40 yards.

As Warlock said, they are just as unique as the folks who own them.

12. Inyaface13

Inyaface13 New Member

The primary use for slugs will be home defense. but I have an old stove/oven I plan to take out some aggression on and turn it into Swiss cheese..I plan on trying the Winchester Super X and maybe some Remington Slugger loads and if my shotgun works well..I am going to pick up some more Winchester PDX1 Defender slugs for home defense.

13. sigman84

sigman84 Well-Known Member

I have about 120 PDX1 Defender slugs plus about 300 rounds of milspec 00 buck. My 18.5" h&r loves both. My 28" h&r loves the 00. And my 870 likes em both.

14. sigman84

sigman84 Well-Known Member

I did about a 2-3 inch group with my 18.5" h&r with a 5 moa red dot at about 70 yards with no rest. If yours shoots like mine you should have no problem.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You do not need a 1,600 fps slug for home defense. Try the Rio low recoil slugs if you want something for home defense. If your gun shoots the Rio slugs accurately you can get a 250 pack of Rio slugs cheap. Then you will have plenty of slugs for target practice and when we have another ammo shortage or price hike you will be set for a long time. Shotgun ammo that is stored properly will last for 20 years.