Suicide policy?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by greenn17h, Oct 21, 2010.

1. greenn17h

greenn17h New Member

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this, or if it's limited to this one range, or what:

I recently relocated for work. I decided to check out one of the local gun shops / indoor range. I walk in, see their very impressive selection of rental guns, and decide I'd like to try some of them out. I wait my turn, and the conversation goes something like this:

Him: Can I help you?
    Me: Yeah, I'd like to try out that PPK on the range.
    Him: (giving a funny look) Are you alone?
    Me: Uh, yeah.
    Him: Do you have a firearm on you?
    Me: No.
    Him: Well, then I can't let you rent a firearm.
    Me: Um, excuse me?
    Him: Our policy is that in order to rent one of our guns you need to be with another person, or you need to show me a firearm that you own. This is so that people do not rent a gun in order to commit suicide

(the reasoning, in case you can't figure it out, is that you won't kill yourself in front of a friend, and if you own a gun you wouldn't need to go to the range to do it)

Me: Are you being serious? What if I show you my CCW permit?
    Him: Nope. CCW only proves that you're not a felon, not that you own a gun.

Everyone in there (customers included, probably 4-6 people) were looking at me like I was nuts for trying to rent a gun alone. One of the customers explained to me that there had been a couple of examples of people going to a public range, renting a gun, and putting it to their own heads.

I've never seen or heard of a policy like this before, but I'm fairly new to firearms. Is this common? By the end of the conversation I was getting pretty pissed at the guy, and I left vowing never to give them a cent of my business. Problem is, they're close, it's a pretty nice facility, and they seem nice otherwise (before trying to rent I spent a few minutes in the store part of the place).

BTW, I do own guns, I just didn't happen to have them with me at the time.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I have never experienced it first hand but have heard about it. I believe it is common in California...anybody confirm this?

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Get a Suicidal Tendancies tattoo. Show them that the next time you go and try to rent one. You did not ask if you could buy only one round, did you? :eek:

Seriously, that is a pretty stupid law. There are easier ways to kill yourself that are cheaper than renting a firearm and buying ammo at their prices.

To me, it seems like another misguided fear of guns law.

4. Shade

Shade New Member

If someone wants to commit suicide; let them...
    It is just another way of adding a little chlorine to the gene pool...

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Customer: "So, you won't let me rent one...Can I buy one then?"
    Range Dude: "Shure, what are you looking for?"
    Customer: "Something to carry for self defense to carry when I'm, you know; by myself!"

How damned stupid can people get.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have heard of that policy, too, from a friend who lives in California.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you want to end your life, that's one thing.

If you want to end your life on MY shooting range, which will result in my closing the range for days, dealing with cops, dealing with lawyers, getting a BIOHAZ crew in to clean up the mess you left on my range- no. :eek:

Besides, you endanger other people on the range, the gun you rented will be rusted by the time I get it back from the cops, and looking at the stains on the ceiling always makes me depressed.

Seriously- is the range going overboard? Yes. But there are likely reasons for it, and bottom line- it's THEIR range.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Seems silly, but kinda like was mentioned above, off yourself elsewhere please and thank you.

I don't think i would hold that against the range; show back up with a buddy and a target that you enjoy using. :)

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

If it's their store/range, it's their prerogative to do so. Just go somewhere else I guess.

10. steve666

steve666 New Member

Had it happen a few months ago at a range here in Indianapolis. A guy went in rented a gun, went into the range area and shot himself. I can see them wanting to avoid dealing with that mess again.

11. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Weston man commits suicide at Lauderdale Lakes shooting range
    October 15, 2010|By Tonya Alanez, Sun Sentinel

A Weston man shot and killed himself Friday morning at the Arizona Shooting Range in Lauderdale Lakes, leaving behind a suicide note, authorities said.

The Broward Sheriff's Office identified the victim as a 47-year-old Weston man, but did not release his name.

The suicide occurred at about 10:45 a.m. at 4325 North State Road 7, said Veda Coleman, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office.

"He shot himself there at the gun range," Coleman said. "He did leave behind a note."

12. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

A suicide happen at a range here in Michigan. I also remember a mother shooting her son and turning the gun on herself. It happens. How would you stop it? The gun range don't want the bad PR and the mess to clean up.

13. RTMiller

RTMiller New Member

I agree 100%. Well said.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

seems like a reasonable policy. who wants the hassle of cleaning up the mess a piece of human debris leaves behind?? happened here in WI just north of me in milwaukee. guy walks in rents a gun offs his worthless self. range closed for several weeks tons of expense to clean it up. re-opens the range another loser comes in a week after re-open and does it again...

15. orangello

orangello New Member

That range should seriously consider a remodel with some happier colors and a policy that they will have a horny stray dog desecrate any suicide corpses on the premises.

16. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

A policy will have little effect on someone wanting to off themself. I would suggest having a designated enclosed area to prevent any stray rounds after exit and maybe a lockbox for notes...You could provide a head bag to keep the remains contained and for easier cleanup. A security cam should be installed as well to substantiate that suicide and not murder occurred.

17. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I do not, and have no intent to go to an indoor range, just because I'm lucky enough to have better places to go.
    There is another gun shop in the same town that I work, a few miles north of my store.
    They have an indoor range.
    I think they've had about 2 or 3 suicides within the last 6 or 7 years.
    If I recall, at least one of the persons that comitted suicide did not rent the gun, he simply asked to see it, and when the guy behind the counter wasn't looking, pulled a bullet from his pocket, loaded the gun and....
    Like I said, I have never used that indoor range, or any other.
    I don't know if they have that policy.
    I think it is kind of a stupid policy, but I do see where they're coming from.
    As a gun shop employee, I hope I never see that happen in my store, or anywhere for that matter.

18. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

There has been a rash of suicides at gun ranges lately and I was unfortunate enough to be working during two of them. The second shooting happened days within the one year anniversary of the first incident. I live with both of those nightmare daily and would not ever wish it upon another human being.

We have had a range in the area quit renting firearms all together and I'm very leery of any stranger that comes in alone and rents a handgun. No more rose colored glasses for me.

For those of you, that think these people are better off dead for whatever reason, you can kiss my ass. Joe

19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

It's probably a policy just for liability purposes. Obviously it's not really a deterrent just a lawsuit shield.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

its badger guns over in south milwaukee. its one of the better indoor ranges in this area too. i go there a lot in the winter.